Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation

Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation

Face Make-up - Foundation

Review of "Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation"

published 19/01/2009 | bamamo
Member since : 20/02/2008
Most of these also on Dooyoo, where I'm much more active.
Pro Blends well, not noticeable on skin, wide range of shades to suit everyone
Cons Not sure how long pot will last, hard to blend on drier skin
Length of Coverage
Ease of Removal
Visibility

"Get the skin you always dreamed of!"

I've recently embarked on a quest for perfect-looking skin and as such felt it was time for my first foundation. In the past I've used tinted moisturisers, and of course concealers, but I've been noticing more and more some redness around my nose, cheeks and chin which I would really rather do without.

I had heard good things about Dream Matte Mousse, and thought the lightness of a whipped foundation would be preferable, so decided it would be a good place to start. Even better, when I got to Boots there was £2 off, it was obviously meant to be!

THE PRODUCT AND SHADES
Dream Matte mousse is an air-whipped mousse by Maybelline. This makes it weightless on your face, and makes it very easy to blend with your natural skin tone.

It is currently available in 16 shades (six light, six medium and four dark) so there is a great match for pretty much anyone. I chose 021 Nude mostly because as the offer was on, the colour I wanted was out of stock, although it actually works really well on me.

There is a colour selector on Maybelline's website which helps you choose a suitable shade based on whether you are dark, medium or light and the colour of your eyes. It matched me as being one shade later, no doubt based on my blue eyes, but as I have really dark hair I would say I got it spot on. So if you choose to take their advice, take it with a pinch of salt and do test before you buy.

The shade selector can be found here: http://www.maybelline.com/Product/Face/Foundation/ dream-matte-mousse-makeup.htm

DESIGN AND FUNCTIONALITY
The mousse comes in a glass jar with a very solid base - I think this would be more likely to smash your bathroom tiles than break itself if you dropped it! The plastic lid easily screws on and off.

I was a little surprised at how small the jar is (18ml). Despite being made of glass it's not too heavy and while I wouldn't want to haul it around in my handbag everyday, it's not too bulky for emergencies or one-offs.

IN USE
I choose to apply the mousse using a foundation brush, and this is the method I would recommend. Using a blending wedge or sponge I feel would apply too much product, and fingers would not achieve as natural, air-brushed a finish.

I find that very little is needed, I dab my brush extremely lightly so that I can just about see some product on the bristles, and blend outwards from my nose over problem patches. I only apply to areas where I want to reduce redness, blend over a concealer and even out skin tone.

I would say this is a medium-coverage mousse. While it covers my redness extremely well, I can still just about see actual blemishes a little under concealer and the mousse. That said, this is more than likely down to the actual texture of them.

The mousse is really easy to remove using my normal cleanser and toner, and does not irritate my sensitive skin.

VERDICT
I have been wearing the mousse every day since I bought it just over a week ago, and am very impressed so far. It blends seamlessly and does not look cakey when well blended into the skin. I would recommend this foundation more for people wanting to cover problem areas rather than the entire face - I do think it could tend to look a little orange/cakey/unnatural then. The beauty of the mousse is how well it blends with your natural skin tone, but you of course need some visible for it to work!

I was a bit worried that the mousse would run out really quickly due to its formula and the fact that it is essentially full of air, but it actually feels quite springy in the pot and as you only need a very small amount, I've only made very small dents in the pot with my brush. Again I do wholeheartedly recommend using a brush with this for an airbrushed finish and minimal wastage of product.

Once on, I don't notice the foundation on my skin at all, even if I touch my face. While it would come off if you rubbed at your face, it doesn't transfer onto clothing while getting dressed, leaning against your arm, etc in everyday situations. I find the results last all day without needing to touch up, although I'm lucky that my skin isn't at all oily so things do tend to last a long time on my face.

If you do have oilier skin, I daresay you might need to touch up during the day, but the the mattifying properties will definitely work in your favour.

The one thing I do have issues with is the fact that if you do not moisturise your face extremely thoroughly beforehand, you will notice patches which do not blend well. For example, I have extremely dry skin on my lower forehead just above my eyebrows, but also some redness in this area. No matter how well I moisturise, I just can't get the foundation to blend well because it latches onto dry bits of skin and looks orange.

While I would always recommend moisturising before applying anything to your face, it's especially important with this product, and if you do have problem areas which are also dry, a primer might be a good idea also. I've now given up with my forehead and use a pressed powder instead!

I would recommend Dream Matte Mousse for anyone with minor redness/uneven skin tone who wants a light, comfortable foundation that will allow their skin to breathe.

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
Dream Matte Mousse is readily available from most chemists which sell Maybelline and even some supermarkets, etc. It is around £6-7, but at the moment Boots are selling it with £2 off, so there's never been a better time to give it a go!

• mythdata published 19/01/2009
    Fantastic review, Plenty of information included.:O)
  • brittle1906 published 19/01/2009
    Very good review, lots of detail, great reading! Have a well deserved 'E'.
  • SweetTooth93 published 19/01/2009
    I dont wear make up now but when I wear foundation this is my favourite xx

offers "Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation"