Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof

Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof

Eye Make-up - Mascara

Review of "Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof"

published 18/11/2010 | xxfoxyredxx
Member since : 01/10/2006
Reviews : 2005
Am currently popping loads of reviews on here from Dooyoo before that site crashes out completely! Happy to read and rate reviews as always....Christmas is a coming for all us all too soon eh! x Melanie x
Pro Everything really, apart from not giving me 'dramatic' lashes!
Cons Doesn't give me fat, fluttery, pretty lashes that I so desperately want!
Ease of Application
Waterproof?
Does it irritate your eyes?

"Great big fat lashes....finally?"

Anyone who has ever read any of my mascara reviews through the years on here will be aware that its one of my bug bears. I never ever find anything really good and either it agitates my extremely sensitive eyes or clumps and I simply find the stuff disgusting. Having said that I wouldn't dream of applying make up and not using mascara. Go figure! I have tried permanent mascara (doing it myself with a kit and at a salon) and found the results be disappointing to say the least. I had hoped to find a brilliant alternative to shelling out pounds on a tube, of er......crap basically!

My most recent terrible purchase was a Boots No7 mascara. I paid £12 for it and it was dreadful, so much so that I contacted Boots marketing department to complain and did get my money back and the mascara actually hit the bin in total disgust! However it left me again with the whole mascara dilema...which one next?

Now this one I have heard of. I have read many reviews about it and seen it often in stores and knew that I should expect to pay about £5.00 for something marketed as 'No.1 Mascara In The U.S'. I felt as I picked it up in Boots that, that is a huge claim and if its number 1 mascara then it should be good enough for me!

The Packaging:

The pink and black oblong tube comes on a pink backing card covered by see-through plastic. On the that card we are told that it is Maybelline 'New York', Great Lash, 'Waterproof', No.1 Mascara In The U.S and that it perfectly separates lashes, has a conditioning formula and gives no clumps.There is also a small picture shown of the mascara brush and we are told that it is a precise lash building brush and the colour is shown by a colour coded dot and given its name (in my case I opted for very black). On the back of the card we are told a bit about the product and how to use it, the ingredients and size is stated (which is 12.5ml and the only size that I am aware that it is available to purchase in) and contact details for Maybelline are given. On the tube and in black writing we are simply told what it is and the size is stated basically. The tube is neat, girly and informative enough. The lid that holds the brush simply twists on and off with ease and its robust and I find that even though I store mine with plenty of other make-up items it hasn't gone tatty looking through being knocked and bashed about which is something I greatly appreciate.

The Mascara:

Well as I have previously mentioned I opted for the very black colour (other colours are available) and indeed it is a very black colour. What this does is coat the brush which is a very simple, conventional spiral designed brush in the colour. The 'wand' is a good length and no clumps or excess liquid come out of the top of the tube as you use it. At first I thought this mascara appeared a little dry as no real moisture was seen on the brush but it simply transfers to the eyelashes with total ease.

I find the colour glossy enough and I'm impressed with the thin brush which allows me complete control when using it to even get to small eyelashes however all in all I'm not all that impressed with it.

Fair do's this doesn't agitate the eyes, is simple enough to use and coats the eyelashes with ease and is very waterproof indeed. It stays put with no smudging or flakiness all day long, doesn't feel uncomfortable after wearing it all day either and is simple enough to remove with your usual make-up removing routine. Sounds good right? I mean those things are pretty positive?!

However the let down on this is that I have to use a few coats to get any lash building going on which is time consuming. I find it lengthens just a touch but it does tend to make my eyelashes look a little spindly and I certainly don't get what I think of as fluttery eyelashes! I like the colour, I like its staying power and ease of application and as a day to day mascara I rather like it and yes I would buy it again for sure but on the back of the card this mascara came on I was told I should get a dramatic finish and I seriously don't get that in my opinion. I wanted fat lashes!

Not bad, but not my number 1....I'm still on a quest for that sadly lol.

Available in all good chemists and some supermarkets costing around the £5.00 mark. It comes in 3 shades of black, 2 shades of brown, a navy blue and clear.

This review is also posted on Dooyoo under this same username.

• xxfoxyredxx published 07/01/2011
    Lol Cat iu'll be screaming it from the rooftops beleive me lol Thank you all x
  • Martinscholes published 22/11/2010
    Not a product I'd use, but contains enough information for wouldbe purchasers, I feel.
  • theshoefairy published 20/11/2010
    I couldn't get on with this mascara at all.