McCain Micro Chicken Wings

McCain Micro Chicken Wings

Review of "McCain Micro Chicken Wings"

published 02/10/2005 | yukki28
Member since : 07/09/2005
Good
Pro quick to cook
Cons tasteless, unhealthy,
Product Quality
Product package
Taste
Smell

"Shame they're not micro priced"

I was at work when hunger pangs set in. I knew I wasn't going to last until the end of my shift so I nipped across the road to the supermarket and grabbed the nearest tasty looking quick snack I could find. The fact it was on offer greatly helped my decision to buy.

I really wasn't sure what to expect from a micro snack. I knew that it wasn't going to satisfy my hunger cravings completely, but I did expect a bit more than I got.

As the box instructed me to microwave unopened, I couldn't look at the contents pre cooked, but the box itself looked pretty enough and the chicken wings in the picture did look quite nice.

With a whopping 16g fat and 220 cals, I was expecting my box to be crammed with wings, but alas after opening the box, all I found were four measly wings sitting in the bottom.

*COOKING TIME*

The wings only take 3 and a half minutes in a 750w microwave to cook from frozen. This I thought was a great idea for a quick snack, but as you can imagine the heat intensity from the enclosed cardboard, it took me another five minutes after the cooling period to really be able to prize open the box and be able to touch a wing, let alone put it near my mouth.

*APPEARANCE*

After getting over the shock of there only being four wings in my entire box, I decided they looked fairly appetising, and they certainly looked like they had been coated in a Chinese coating, which was sticky to the touch. There was however a pool of grease lingering on the bottom of the box, which put me off slightly.
I'm no fool and I am well aware that this snack wasn't going to be the healthiest one in the world at the best of times, but nevertheless the fat still put me off.

*TASTE*

Considering they looked right, I was expecting a nice taste, but I found them to be quite tasteless in fact. The outer coating was mildly Chinese flavoured, and little of it had marinated through to the meat.

*PRICE*

I paid £1.24 for my box, but thankfully (I think), I got another box free. I personally think this is a really expensive snack, especially as it didn't really do a lot for my overall hunger.

*OVERALL*

This has been one of those products that look really good on the adverts, but once tried, never again. I wont be buying these again, I would rather spend my money on something a little less fattening and more satisfying for the money. (Does a chocolate bar count?)

McCain do a range of micro snacks, but if these are the standard they are set by, I probably wont try any others either.
The wings are available in a Chinese or barbecue flavour.

• Gemerina published 03/01/2006
    a detailed review, although i dont think i'd like these, gemma x
  • darkangelwing published 02/01/2006
    Good review here, well done, hope you had a lovely new year and a merry christmas(-:
  • JohnGroom published 30/12/2005
    Great review. These sound absolutely disgusting!