McVitie´s HobNobs

McVitie´s HobNobs

Review of "McVitie´s HobNobs"

published 24/02/2003 | vlee11
Member since : 06/11/2002
Pro Harmony of chocolate & biscuit
Cons 95 calories per biscuit
Smell
Product Quality

"HobNobbing with the Best..."

What do you mean no one's written anything about HobNobs yet?! You selfish pricks... well I oughta... No. Civility has value yet. Because when you eat HobNobs, you're hobnobbing with the best.

It would perhaps be helpful for the uninitiated if I described what a HobNob looks like. Unfortunately, upon the devouring of every crumb in two HobNobs (Milk Chocolate) bottles, there is zilch to refer to. So kindly excuse this recall from a not-so-distant memory...

Each biscuit/cookie has a diameter of about 5cm so it's really quite a substantial piece of confectionery to place at one go into an un-Julia Roberts mouth. While one side of the cookie is covered with smooth dark chocolate (either plain chocolate or milk chocolate), the really interesting part is the other side... where you can nobbly bits of oats poking out from the surface of the cookie. So what you have are two very different sides, almost diametrically opposed to each other, in terms of texture (smooth vs nobbly) and taste (sweet vs bland)... anyone care to expound on theories of co-existence at this point??

I wouldn't bother because there's a much better thing to do... put it into the magic box which I shall call "THE MOUTH". There, one side meets the other as saliva slushes round the mouth, mixing and blending chocolate and oats into a delectable sense of harmony least of all imaginable to humankind. A nice game to play is running your tongue over the nobbly bits (as you would a stick on a xylophone) first and then measuring the time it takes for the entire biscuit to melt into bits. A not so nice game is getting the oats off the crevasses of your teeth when you're done.

But as with all pleasures, it comes at a price. Monetarily, it'll set you back about GBP 1.09 at Tesco (but I got mine at GBP 0.79 each at a Warwick Drive-stop) which I reckon is pretty reasonable for 13* pieces of HobNobs. That works out to be about 8.3p* per HobNob in case you were wondering.

I included this part for those who want to see less of themselves (i.e. are weight-watching). You shouldn't read this but if you insist: 95 calories per biscuit, including 4.5g of fat. Now forget it. Remember though that it contains 28% rolled oats so it does help in digestion and provide small amounts of roughage as compared to other overly-processed confectionery. Plus, chocolate has been found to help in the releasing of certain endorphins that not only reduce pain but are responsible for feelings of happiness.

Let's face it, you shouldn't be binge-ing on snacks if you're on a serious diet. Moderation is as always, the key. I recommend McVities HobNobs if you want biscuits you'll be happy with. HobNob with the Best and forget all the rest!!

*: these figures were revised after my wonderful flatmate bought me a tub of HobNobs just as I wassilently lamenting the lack of it. Thanks Sam!

• SweetTooth93 published 07/09/2008
    I love hobnobs but I hate the little oaty bits that get stuck in your teeth xx
  • mumsymary published 28/02/2003
    I could eat a packet on my own
  • Flissy published 25/02/2003
    I used to have packetsof these with my hubby (then boyfriend). No wonder I gained a bit of weight. Good op - but a dangerous op reminding me how much I miss them. Fliss xx