McVitie's Jamaica Ginger Cake

McVitie's Jamaica Ginger Cake

Other Cakes

Review of "McVitie's Jamaica Ginger Cake"

published 28/12/2011 | Anti_W
Member since : 10/06/2008
A nerdy type from Wolverhampton, now working full-time in Birmingham. Back after about two years. Trying to play catchup with ratings before I write more reviews...
Pro Tasty, rich, moreish, relatively expensive
Cons Sugar and fat content
Taste
Smell
Product Quality
Packaging

"Have a taste of Jamaica!"

Being of West Indian descent, Sunday desserts during my childhood usually consisted of ginger cake and custard, and our brand of choice to this day is McVities Ginger Cake. Nowadays we don’t pick this product up as often as we could because it’s not particularly healthy. However whenever I do a cheeky Tesco shop I see this on the shelf buy it every now and again!

The price of McVities Ginger Cake will vary; Tesco have it for £1.39 but I’ve seen discount stores like Home Bargains stock it for around 60p, so shop around!
---Packaging---

The cake is wrapped in mainly brown packaging with the product title and McVities logo on the top, which is very eye-catching. Even if they’re not the colours one would normally associate with Jamaica it’s still recognisable enough to distinguish this Ginger Cake from other products of its ilk. The loaf is inside a paper case which can be easily cut open for slices.

All the nutritional information is on the bottom of the pack. I won’t list every ingredient here but I will point out for those with allergies that the cake does contain gluten, wheat, eggs, milk and whey.
---Opinion---

Appearance wise the cake is pretty plain looking: it has a dark brown outer layer and the inside is lighter brown. It is very soft and therefore easy to cut into slices although the sides can get stuck to the paper case. Still, it tastes absolutely scrumptious! The ginger cake is very moist, especially its outer layer, but also rich and sweet with the ginger taste coming through immediately after taking a bite. As mentioned above, I really like to serve it warm with custard for a very filling Sunday dessert.

I will say that McVities Ginger Cake isn’t at all healthy, containing a lot of sugar (much more than a traditional Jamaican ginger cake I can assure you that) and some fat. Whilst the packaging boasts “only 93 calories per slice”, this claim obviously depends on how thick or thin you like your slices of cake. Nevertheless this cake is so delicious that nobody on a diet could resist this if they bought it! Whether you want a dessert, a snack or a party cake, this is definitely a lovely cake suitable for the whole family.

(This review is also on Dooyoo under the username Anti)

• carcraig published 11/04/2012
    You can use it to make a great Sticky Toffee Pudding too!
  • doriee.jay published 02/01/2012