McVities Go Ahead Apple Bakes

McVities Go Ahead Apple Bakes

Cereal Bars

Review of "McVities Go Ahead Apple Bakes"

published 22/06/2007 | kingfisher111
Member since : 05/02/2006
Enjoying the lovely summer holidays with my girls!
Pro tasty and healthy
Cons none
Smell
Product Quality

"Go Ahead - try one!"

Like many other people I'm sure, I seem to be constantly fighting a losing battle with my weight! It's probably got a lot to do with the fact that most of the things I really enjoy eating are a little on the fattening side and I don't seem to have the willpower to say 'no'! Therefore, I am always on the look out for the type of snack that I will enjoy but will not do nasty things to my waistline!

The problem is that, in my opinion, most of the things that claim to be good for you don't actually taste as nice as all the things that don't make this claim! However, one of the brands that actually does seem to combine taste with healthy eating are the 'Go Ahead' range from MvVites, and just recently I have discovered quite a liking for their apple bakes!

This is probably because deep down I am a real apple pie lover, and although these are not actually apple pies there are a number of similarities as I will explain.

So, when you first go into the supermarket you will generally tend to find these with the healthier type of biscuit and cereal bars. Unfortunately, in Sainsburys, this area tends to be right next door to the unhealthy biscuits! (Maybe supermarkets should organise their aisles in terms of healthiness, and that way you wouldn't need to go anywhere near temptation!) You can pick up a pack of six apple bakes for £1.59 which works out at just over 25 pence per bar - not too bad! On the packet it reads:

'go ahead can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet and lifestyle, so you can relax and enjoy any of the range of great tasting snacks'.

This sounds good, so when I first saw them I thought they were definitely worth a try. I also noticed on the packet that each bar contains 124 calories and 8% fat. Neither were quite as low as I would have hoped, but they are not too high either! As with anything, you just have to factor them in to everything else you are eating, and make sure that you do not exceed your daily intake!

When you open the packet, you find that each apple bake is wrapped individually in order to help maintain the freshness. On taking the bake out from the packet it looks like a long slab of pastry which is roughly divided into three. The best way to eat it is to break of the thirds and savour one at a time. When you break off the first third you see that inside is a lovely gooey apple filling. It is really very tasty and has a similar taste to the inside of an apple pie! Not too sweet and not too sharp either! The pastry covering has a lovely taste and a nice crumbly texture too! The combination of the apple inside the pastry also works really well together, as I said before, not dissimilar to an actual apple pie! Only, with this one you really shouldn't have any cream!

So overall, I do think this is quite a tasty litle snack and certainly does as an alternative to less healthy biscuits and chocolate bars. I also do tend to find that one of these bakes is filling enough, and so prevents me from reaching straight into the packet for another one!

These apple bakes can be found in all good supermarkets and are part of a wider range of more healthy biscuits and snacks!

• xd-o-n-z-x published 20/06/2014
    vh
  • Craigshadow12 published 26/07/2007
    Great review as allways :D, Craig ♥
  • shaaza published 13/07/2007
    i don't really like bakes with apples don't know why.. i mainly favour them with strawberries.. nice review though.. stay safe hun x x xx