Member Advice on Breastfeeding

Member Advice on Breastfeeding

Review of "Member Advice on Breastfeeding"

published 25/11/2003 | LouiseTopp
Member since : 23/10/2003
Pro Antibodies, good for baby,
Cons I feel a bit ashamed, may be painful

"Breastfeeding views"

I am due in January and I would like to breastfeed, but I have been brought up by my parents to believe that breasts should be hidden away, and that they are something to be ashamed of. I read about a woman in Lincoln who breast fed in a McDonald’s restaurant being asked to leave because she was breast feeding. She had been told by her midwife that they were a child-friendly place. How can they be if they do things like that? Why breastfeeding is still considered taboo, & disgusting in this country? What might put a lot of women off is men staring & making lewd comments, because some but not all are one-track minded, and this tends to or may put a lot of women off anyway.

I am worried that midwives will bully me into something I’m not too sure about. I hope I am not being rude or offensive about this is, there any other women out there who understand?

• LittleFeathers2 published 28/11/2003
    Do what you feel comfortable with. I breastfed as it is one of the most natural things to do. As long as you wear loose tops most people won't actualy realise what you are doing if you do breastfeed in public. A couple of times I had to and no one ever noticed. Glo
  • CherryBlossom published 26/11/2003
    I breast fed whenever and wherever my children needed their meal. Breasts are mammary glands designed to feed our children and when using them for their natural function I honestly can't see any reason to be embarassed and certainly not ashamed. However, if you really and truly don't feel comfortable with the idea, don't do it, but it may be worth breast feeding at home, at least, even if you bottle feed in public. Good luck anyway. ~Sharon
  • Groovee published 26/11/2003
    Sorry for the low rating but this tells me nothing to help prepare for breast feeding or helpful tints for engorged boobs or latching on problems. It may have been better to wait until you had tried it!

Product Information : Member Advice on Breastfeeding