Home > Ciao Café > Member Advice

Member Advice on Computers & Electronics

1-30 from 44 products sort by Popularity | Product rating | Price

Member Advice on Building Your Own PC

(+) Good experience, Could save you money, Fun, Choose your parts. (-) Needs the know-how and experience. Not for everyone (*) (On Ciao since: 05/2001)

User reviews (24)

 
24 reviews

Member Advice on General Computing Issues

(+) Not having to spend money on expensive upgrades (-) Serious Virus infection can be difficult to overcome without formatting (*) (On Ciao since: 06/2000)

User reviews (89)

 
89 reviews

Member advice on: Saving money on computers

(+) Save a lot of money compared to ready-built (-) if you don't know what you are doing, parts are easily broken (*) (On Ciao since: 07/2000)

User reviews (6)

 
6 reviews

Member Advice on Inkjet Cartridge Refills

(+) Cheaper than buying them, satisfaction of doing it yourself (-) Takes a bit of time, but I have plenty of that! (*) (On Ciao since: 09/2001)

User reviews (21)

 
21 reviews

Mobile Phone Etiquette

(+) n/a (-) n/a (*) (On Ciao since: 07/2000)

User reviews (80)

 
80 reviews

Member Advice on Computer Fairs & Shows

(+) some absolute bargains can be found (-) beware of items that seem to good to be true.. (*) (On Ciao since: 07/2000)

User reviews (66)

 
66 reviews

Telephone Preference Service

(+) None. (-) Everything. (*) (On Ciao since: 03/2001)

User reviews (10)

 
10 reviews

Member Advice on Computer Users

(+) Secure and protect your data, free/low-cost (-) Takes a little time and effort (*) (On Ciao since: 06/2001)

User reviews (20)

 
20 reviews

Member Advice on Maxtor Hard Drives

(+) Faster, larger, with good warranty, shop around for best prices (-) I couldn't find any (*) (On Ciao since: 10/2000)

User reviews (4)

 
4 reviews

Member Advice on Buying A PC

(+) Interesting, Entertaining and Economical (-) Need Much Time and Patience (*) (On Ciao since: 08/2001)

User reviews (19)

 
19 reviews

Coverage Black Spots

(+) Neater than having two phones (-) Still a trifle fiddly - one for the 'must haves'. (*) (On Ciao since: 07/2000)

User reviews (13)

 
13 reviews

Member Advice on PC Extended Warranties

(+) For the Companies they are Money For Nothing (-) For the Customer they are Nothing for Money (*) (On Ciao since: 02/2001)

User reviews (14)

 
14 reviews

Member Advice on Cheap Printer Cartridges

(+) better for the environment, better for your pocket (-) are not all that good for quality presentations (*) (On Ciao since: 08/2000)

User reviews (9)

 
9 reviews

Member Advice on Computer Books

(+) Detailed, informative, excellent reference books (-) Costly at £35 - £ 40 (*) (On Ciao since: 06/2000)

User reviews (16)

 
16 reviews

Mobile Phones in Society/General

(+) Read opinion (-) Read opinion (*) (On Ciao since: 09/2001)

User reviews (9)

 
9 reviews

Member Advice on Building with Separates

(+) Don't have to buy it all at once (-) Not cosmetically the best way forward. No friends! (*) (On Ciao since: 03/2001)

User reviews (4)

 
4 reviews

Member Advice on DVD Players

(+) High Quality Picture, Audio, Special Features (-) New Technology On The Way (*) (On Ciao since: 01/2004)

User reviews (3)

 
3 reviews

Member Advice on MD Vs MP3

(+) MiniDisk - Portable and not overly expenisive, MP3 - you can sotre loads of music (-) MiniDisk - You can't store more tan 320minutes max. MP3 - either more expenisve, bigger in size, or uses expensive Solidstae memory. (*) (On Ciao since: 01/2001)

User reviews (7)

 
7 reviews

Member Advice on Choosing an Operating System

(+) It's Free, Secure, Rock Solid (-) Takes a while to get used to, Not the best for newest games. (*) (On Ciao since: 06/2001)

User reviews (6)

 
6 reviews

Member Advice on Choosing a Laptop

(+) Great if you get it right (-) Can be expensive if you get it wrong (*) (On Ciao since: 09/2011)

User reviews (1)

 
1 Review

Member Advice on Hewlett Packard

(+) HP for word processing / Epson for images (-) HP smudges / Epson slow (*) (On Ciao since: 08/2000)

User reviews (3)

 
3 reviews

General Information on Buying a Mobile

(+) DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Decide how much and HOW you are going to use the phone... (-) ...and how much you want to pay. Everything else is secondary. (*) (On Ciao since: 02/2001)

User reviews (7)

 
7 reviews

Member Advice on HTML

(+) Simple to use (-) Only makes simple pages (*) (On Ciao since: 04/2004)

User reviews (1)

 
1 Review

Member Advice on Choosing a Hi-fi

(+) Good cinema sound (-) Many systems "mis-sold" (*) (On Ciao since: 08/2005)

User reviews (1)

 
1 Review

Member Advice on Scanning Equipment

(+) Fast, Efficient, Saves paper work & Easy to use (-) You may not really need this gadget (*) (On Ciao since: 01/2004)

User reviews (1)

 
1 Review

One Care

(+) All security needs in one product at a good price. (-) Product not yet mature (*) (On Ciao since: 09/2006)

User reviews (1)

 
1 Review

Member Advice on Plasma televisions

(+) Picture/Sound Quality are far superior, takes up less room than the average television. (-) The sound and picture are not always in synch (*) (On Ciao since: 05/2004)

User reviews (1)

 
1 Review

Member Advice on Mini or Micro?

(+) A tiny blast (-) I suppose you could lose the speakers (*) (On Ciao since: 09/2001)

User reviews (1)

 
1 Review

Member Advice on Computer Repair

(On Ciao since: 12/2002)

User reviews (4)

 
4 reviews

Member Advice on Keyboards

(+) Feels great to type on (-) Not clicky (*) (On Ciao since: 08/2002)

User reviews (3)

 
3 reviews

Compare products

(*) Reviews by Ciao members

Latest reviews in Member Advice on Computers & Electronics »

Need a new computer? Why not build your own?

Advantages: Good experience, Could save you money, Fun, Choose your parts.
Disadvantages: Needs the know-how and experience. Not for everyone

With computers becoming less and less expensive, the majority of us seem to be able to afford one. 99.9% chance that you’re using one this very moment! (That 0.1% being those who use their TV’s to access the net, any Ciao’ers here do that?). Now if you ha ...

Deru 14.12.2004 · Read full review
Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful
Review of Member Advice on Building Your Own PC

IF BOB CAN BUILD IT SO CAN YOU

Advantages: Cheaper than buying a PC
Disadvantages: time consuming and fiddly in places

If you read my last opinion on buying a PC, you will have noticed that one of my recommendations was to consider building it yourself. If you have a good knowledge of PC's this may very well be a fairly easy task, but for someone with little knowledge it ...

mdstone 26.10.2001 · Read full review
Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful
Review of Member Advice on Building Your Own PC

Stealing candy from a baby

Advantages: MUCH cheaper, fully customised, satisfaction of building your own
Disadvantages: No warrantees, and not all the bells and whistles

The first thing I will do is lay the common fear to rest - it's not difficult to build your own PC. I'm not just saying that with hindsight - if you can make a lego model, you will have no problems with a PC. However there are many stages of building y ...

Oliy 02.09.2001 · Read full review
Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful
Review of Member Advice on Building Your Own PC

Time to get that screw driver out again

Advantages: Cheapest solution and you get to choose what you want inside your new system
Disadvantages: Can be a daunting experience for those who are new to it.

How to Build A PC If all them bad opinions about computer retailers on Ciao have put you of then why not just build your own machine. That way you can choose what goes inside it and make sure it’s what you want rather than letting some gorgeous part-time ...

Spike5792 03.06.2002 · Read full review
Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful
Review of Member Advice on Building Your Own PC

The idiots guide to building a PC

Advantages: Its fun, its rewarding and is very cost effective
Disadvantages: Its downright frustrating if you have any incompatibility problems

For those who require a PC you have the option of buying a complete system from a retailer/manufacturer or if you are up to it you can build the PC yourself. Contrary to popular belief, building your own PC is not difficult at all. This opinion does not a ...

Manics 17.02.2002 · Read full review
Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful
Review of Member Advice on Building Your Own PC