Member Advice on Optical Care

Member Advice on Optical Care

Review of "Member Advice on Optical Care"

published 16/02/2001 | danradders
Member since : 07/09/2000
Pro can keep your eyes healthy, be in fashion!
Cons If not looked after properly, eyes can deteriorate

"For Wearers and Non-Wearers---"

I am going to try and make this opinion as helpful as I can to both users and non-users of optical wear, so, I hope it is! I have been wearing glasses for about seven years now, and it is only recently I have been wearing contact lenses, but I feel that I know enough to give you some sound advice on both.

Firstly. Do you need glasses? Well, you are meant to have an eye test every now and again, two years I believe, so, although these can be quite expensive, about ten pounds, be aware that they can easily save your eyesight. These tests last about ten minutes (hence them being expensive) and with modern technology can also be very accurate with what prescription you need, or as the case may be, do not.

If you do not need glasses, do you? Well, that is up to you. What I mean is, do you want glasses with lenses that do not aid your vision. Fashion glasses. Plenty of celebrities wear them, and a couple of years ago they were the ‘in thing’. Now, still so, and so, if you can afford it (!) you may want to consider buying frames with no effective lenses. Take a good look around, and keep an eye out for special offers, as they are always around in the different opticians.

So, you need glasses. Do not start to think ‘oh sh*t’. As I said, glasses are becoming a fashion statement, and you can be part of it all. The thing is, if you need glasses but do not wear them, your eyes are likely to deteriorate, and then you will really need glasses, so just get used to the fact you need them. There is a large selection of frames to choose from, so there will be a pair that suit you to a tee. Choose carefully though, as you will be seen by a lot of people in them.

Or, contacts. I would advise you to wear glasses to start off with, get your eyes used to the fact they are being aided, then if you feel that you want to ‘progress’ onto contacts, go ahead and give it a try, but beware as they can be expensive. Thirty pounds for thirty-five pairs is what I pay, and these are standard daily soft-lenses which are disposable. All the prices can be picked up at your local Boots or any other opticians. Contacts can be hard to deal with at first, so be patient. Contacts are also for those people who want to ‘look normal’ again, and not have some metal/plastic wrapped around your face. This can be a confidence booster, especially when you are out and about.

It is important to look after your glasses lenses carefully, as they can be very expensive to buy, and a scratch can be very irritating when you look through them. Likewise, look after your contacts, as a small bit of dust under the contact can cause your eye serious damage, and leave scars on your cornea.

The best piece of advice I can give you is the following. If you need glasses, wear them. My eyesight deteriorated severely before I decided to wear them properly, and now I won’t take them off! Which leads me onto my next point, do not overuse them. Wearing them all the time can make your eyes dependent on them, and so when you take them off, your eyes will strain and will maybe deteriorate. Wearing contacts can be great, with colours available, you can have a good time with them! But make sure you are using them properly.

Tip: If you find it hard to put contacts in, try my technique. Pull your bottom lid right down, and put the lens at the base of the eyeball, and when it is on, simply slide it gently up to the pupil, then when you think it is in place, blink quickly, and keep doing so until the slight discomfort pain disappears. This pain will be present in whatever technique you use to put your lens in until your eye adjusts to it, so do not be put off if your eyes do hurt a touch.

Anyway, hope that has been of some help.

• clanmac4 published 16/02/2001
    VH because of the last para - had me squirming, god I hate contacts. Secondly, the second last para, if I take my specs of I cant find my way out of the bedroom!
  • flooda published 16/02/2001