Member Advice on Tatoos

Member Advice on Tatoos

Review of "Member Advice on Tatoos"

published 28/02/2006 | becks22
Member since : 30/01/2006
Pro Can express your personality
Cons It will be there forever!

"To tattoo or not to tattoo?"

Firstly, if you are thinking of getting a tattoo done then make sure you do just that for a while, think about it. Many people have probably wanted to get a tattoo at some point and consequently changed their minds. This is why it is so important to think hard about if you actually want one in the first place because they are for life really.

I now have four and I would recommend it if you are absolutely sure you want one. My first one was done when I was in Germany and I didn't think about it as much as I should have done. It is now my least favourite one so there you go! The other three however, I made sure I definitely wanted and one of them I drew myself, which is very satisfying.

If you are sure and know what you want done then the next step is to find a reputable and clean tattooist. There are hundreds of shops across the country but it is worth going to have a look before you get one done so you can reassure yourself that it is hygienic and a good job will be done.

Now to the actual experience. No matter what people say it does hurt a lot (as you would expect!) but on the plus side, depending on the size of course, it does not last too long. (For example, I have one at the bottom of my back about 5 inches long and 3 inches high that took roughly an hour). Tattooing is an ever growing industry so naturally there are many different products becoming available, such as anaesthetic. I used this for two of mine and I did not feel a thing. However, as it takes an hour to take effect you will not always be offered it. If you are squeamish about pain it is worth asking for it.

Afterwards, it is very important to make sure you keep the tattoo clean to prevent infection and to help it heal properly. I generally have used normal anti-bacterial soap to clean them. There are many aftercare products available but things such as savlon or vaseline often work just as well as more expensive specialised creams.

Hope this helps! x

• The_Nursey published 15/03/2006
    I put off having mine done for years -too much pain. But when it came to it I actually thought it really didn't hurt that much - yes I was sober at the time!! I likened it to a scratchy sensation. I did think about getting one on my ankle but was told it would hurt due to it being on the bone -only part of my body thats skinny lol So went for my shoulder instead.
  • pdoyle007 published 14/03/2006
    I have 3 main concerns about tattoo's: 1. If you get a persons name you're bound to break up with them 2. With a foreign symbol you can't be 100% sure what it means 3. Your body grows so get one on a bit you don't expect to stretch On the other hand they look cool
  • nadiawalton published 01/03/2006
    Hey! Good review with enough info on tattoos! You would prob get a higher rating if you included a bit more info on what actually happens at the tattooist (is that a word!??) and what can happen if omething goes wrong! :) Ive always wanted a tattoo but havent seen one i want yet!

Product Information : Member Advice on Tatoos