Member advice on Passing your Driving Theory Test

Member advice on Passing your Driving Theory Test

Review of "Member advice on Passing your Driving Theory Test"

published 06/06/2007 | Highway51
Member since : 06/12/2006
Pro Ensures you have some required knowledge.
Cons Hazard perception test is a joke and unrealistic.
Safety
Spaciousness
Road Handling
Customer service

"LGV Theory Test and Hazard Perception"

My feelings mirror those above. I have been driving for ten years on a normal licence, never had an accident and never had any points, I was taking the LGV theory test. I scored 60/60 on the theory part
and then failed the hazard perception. I know I didn't miss any, they're simply to obvious for that but still scored a zero on at least one.

I fail to understand how a computer can know the reason for
a human clicking a mouse button.

The person driving the video camera seemed awfully slow to respond
to numerous hazards and reacted much later than I would while
driving, examples include sheep in the road and the police officer
who flags a motorcyclist down. There is no way that either could be reacted to too early. Both were clear hazards and on both occasions I clicked many seconds before the video driver reacted at all.

It is of course impossible to measure correctly whether a person has
clicked 'too early' - clearly being overperceptive while driving is a ridiculous concept, or whether they have clicked for a developing hazard and then clicked again for another potential hazard but the second click has been marked against the developing hazard cancelling out the initial correct one.

The whole hazard perception idea is of course excellent and was already covered by the practical test in which real hazards are encountered continually and a real practical response is measured.

I hope no-one is killed when a new driver goes out onto the road and
tries to brake for a pedestrian by clicking his mouse button.

What idiot thought this one up!

Save to say it is here and appears to be here to stay, no doubt the government are happy with the reduced driver numbers and private firms happy with increased revenue from the tests.

So I'm off to fork out another load of hard earned cash to learn how to
be perceive hazards in the accepted way, i.e. a bit slower. I would
advise against anyone taking this test without having real pratice on the hazard perception test, and no there is no practical try out on the video the DSA send nor before the test, and if you don't have a PC then you may as well give up driving, obviously the two are so similar it
is impossible to conceive of someone being able to drive but not wanting to use a computer.

• Tadders published 16/05/2008
    I want to thank you for this. Whilst it may not be an in depth analysis of the theory test, you have certainly made me feel a lot better. I have my test tomorrow morning and, despite taking numerous practice hazard perception tests, I seem to continually fail this part. It doesn't seem to matter that I get 100% for all the practical multiple choice questions. There is clearly a very large gap between my idea of a hazard and that of this test. The rules for each clip seem to wildly differ from one to the next. I am in danger of cheating the system in my efforts to ensure I don't click too early or too late, but would undoubtedly have crashed on several occasions if I clicked as late as the system expects me to spot them. Perhaps the most irritating aspect is that it has no bearing on your ability as a driver and there is no surefire way to ensure you will pass no matter how much practice you get. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed on the day! x
  • marymoose99 published 08/06/2007
    Some interesting points...in fact my driving instructor was quite worried when he had to take the test as he had been clicking to early when he practised. Luckily he got the hang of when the right time to click was!

Product Information : Member advice on Passing your Driving Theory Test