Mercedes Benz World, Weybridge

Mercedes Benz World, Weybridge

Racecourse/Racetrack - Address: Brooklands Dr, Weybridge KT13 0SL

Review of "Mercedes Benz World, Weybridge"

published 15/05/2017 | mummy2harry
Member since : 12/04/2007
YAY I am finally silver! Wooo! Like books? Check out http://chicklitchloe.blogspot.com...
Pro Free entry, lots of cars on display, lots of add ons when there
Cons Pricey souvenirs
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"A fantastic time to be had for petrol heads!"

Mercedes Benz World

Mercedes Benz World

We visited Mercedes Benz World during the May half term in 2016, due to the fact our 10 year old son is a completely car nut, and loves anything to do with cars. We have done Beaulieu many times now, so thought this might be something different to enjoy. Just an hours drive away from where we live, it sounded perfect, and I am so pleased that we decided to attend - it was a wonderful day out, and we will definitely be looking to visit again.

We arrived at 11am to the site at Brooklands. The journey was well signposted, and you can't miss it once you arrive. The car parking is very good, with a computer noticeboard displaying your car registration and telling you which area to park in. Parking is free for the day which is great. Entrance to the museum itself was also free, so for a cheap day out, this is a perfect location. As we went in, there was lots of cars on display, both Mercedes Benz and Smart cars (who are owned by Mercedes Benz), and the building looked very impressive.

As we went in, you can immediately see many cars on display, as well as a reception area. You don't need to visit the reception, but is there if you have any questions. Near the front is the gift shop - as you'd expect it's very pricey, selling lots of Mercedes Benz clothing, especially related to their Formula 1 team, and the prices reflect that (t-shirts were £40-50, hats were £30). The kids range was very limited, and I felt this was a bit of a missed opportunity. My son collects lanyards from wherever we visit, so we were disappointed not to be able to purchase these there. In the end, he opted for a wallet which was £6 and a pen with a torch which was £3 so these gifts weren't too badly priced.

The museum holds lots of different Mercedes Benz cars, and there are a few Smart cars on display too. Most of the cars are located on the first and second floors. Many of the cars are unlocked, and you are encouraged to get in, sit down and try them out. My son adored getting behind the wheel, sorting out his seat position, and opening all the boots! The staff don't really look twice at children clambering inside, which was great. Parents were good, ensuring their children were careful, but the children seemed aware the cars were expensive and to be careful. The staff were also happy with people taking pictures of all the cars, inside and out which was great for my son.

One of the highlights of our day was my son's Hot Lap in the Mercedes Benz E63 AMG. This was on special offer for £15 which is always the case during the school holidays, and this was for a 10 minute drive around the track with a racing driver at the wheel. We weren't told at the desk it meant he would be in the car with other people, which was a bit of a shock when we turned up, but luckily we managed to get him into the front seat. He absolutely loved the experience, going round the skin pan, and around the track at over 100mph, and it was a safe experience from a parents point of view too. It was certainly memorable, and I know my son would do it again in a heartbeat.

As well as the cars, there are 2 cinemas in the buildings which show different things at various times of day. We didn't take the time to visit these, but I can imagine if you visit without children, it is a peaceful way to spend some time. There is also a cafe area, which served hot and cold drinks as well as food - we took a picnic and ate on the grassy area near the race track which seemed a popular option. There is also an indoor little drivers area for toddlers, which cost an extra few pounds but seemed popular. There are also other things you can pay for like various other experiences, and driving lessons (including for juniors), but we didn't partake in these.

This was a super day out, we couldn't actually believe that entry to the museum is free considering how much there is on offer to do throughout the day. I worried about filling the time, but my son was more than happy flitting between the cars on the show levels, sitting in them and pressing all the buttons, and sitting outside watching the stunt show too. This wasn't very long, around 10 minutes at the most, but was fun to watch, lots of smoke from the tyres, and the stunt drivers (dressed much like The Stig) were happy to pose for photographs afterwards, which a lot of people took part in. The queue was sensible, and the security around were happy to take photos of family groups with them too. The cars from the stunt show were also parked outside the building for a short time too so we could take photographs with them. I know I will be visiting with my son again, it was a fantastic day out (even better value if you take a picnic like we did), and even for someone who isn't car mad like me, I enjoyed it, especially seeing my young son have such a fun and unforgettable time.

• jo-1976 published 17/05/2017
    Welcome back! x
  • euphie published 16/05/2017
    vh :o)
  • missrarr published 16/05/2017
    Very informative review :)