Mercedes Vito 111 CDI

Mercedes Vito 111 CDI

Mercedes Vito - Van - Diesel

Review of "Mercedes Vito 111 CDI"

published 18/08/2017 | ravingreviewer
Member since : 28/03/2014
Ciao police (AKA other members) are now policing even my about me!
Pro Top of the range for a lower price.
Cons Leg room.
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"I never realised Mercedes made vans too!"

Following on in my more recent run of reviews on vehicles that I have had the privilege or pleasure of using and abusing during the course if my daily working life, I would just like to carry on with this in writing a review on the van known only as the Mercedes Vito 111 CDI. It has to be noted from the outset however that this is the van model that I am reviewing, and is not to be confused with the Viano which is the people carrier version of it - the main difference of course being that in the Vito the only seats are the three that are to be found in the drivers cab (one for the driver and two for the passengers), with the Viano being of course one with at least two further rows of seats behind the front ones.

Coming with a 1.6 litre diesel engine with six forward gears (some only have five or have automatic gearboxes), this particular brand is one that is in the same league as the Ford Transit; Vauxhall Vivaro, and the perhaps slightly less publicised Renault Trafic. Sizewise they are all pretty much the same size inside and out, however the Vito does have the added advantage of not only having the luxury of a Mercedes badge on it but it is also much more comfortable - both in terms of when sitting in the cab whilst driving, and also in terms of the way in which it handles the road.

With an average fuel consumption of 34.9 miles per gallon, the tank can hold up to 75 litres - which at today's prices, can be about £65 - £70 give or take a pound or two. I have found this to be a little better than many other similar vans, which makes it the sort of van that I would happily own for myself.

Feature wise, it has everything inside the driver's cab situated within a good enough reaching distance for even the smaller people such as me to reach - my only real concern is that the seat does not quite go far enough forward for me, but this is something that I can live with. All of the controls (wipers/ lights/ etc) are all very clearly labelled, and on the steering wheel are also to be found the extra controls for the radio and stereo - meaning that once it is on, you don't have to look away from the actual steering wheel in itself in order to change the stereo or turn it off altogether.

In order to get in to the rear storage area of the van, you have a couple of different choices - there is of course the bulk standard rear entry with two doors that will swing outwards towards you, or there are sliding doors on the side of the vehicle (sometimes there is only one but in other instances there will be one on both sides of the vehicle).

With prices locally starting at about £18,000 new and varying prices for buying it second hand, I do feel that you do get what you pay for - after all it is to my own mind quite an exclusive model, yet it is being sold brand new for almost the same as one that would not be quite so upmarket as this. Therefore I cannot do anything but recommend it to you, as you will not be disappointed at all.

Thanks for reading!