Mercure Terminus Nord, Paris

Review of "Mercure Terminus Nord, Paris"

published 01/06/2015 | SirJoseph
Member since : 08/03/2012
Ciao... please bring back paid music reviews, I want to gush over the new London Grammar album :,(
Good
Pro Location, Bed, Cosy, Price, Staff, Safe, Lifts, Bar, Restaurant, Maps
Cons Location, Small, Utilities, Extras, No Mini-Bar or Fridge, Morning Noise
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Cosy Complex in the Middle of Pee Central"

One Year In

Celebrating our 1 year anniversary, I decided to whisk my girlfriend away to Paris in cliche fashion (not my style, I just knew she really wanted to go there). All booked via Last Minute.com about 2 months before, I sorted out train, tube and Eurostar tickets in a hurry and it all went rather smoothly despite having to wake up early to get to the station! We tend to get a lot done in 'Long weekend' trips - especially city breaks compared to summer holidays which I think are best left as 7-10 or even 14 days worth of relaxing and taking your time. The biggest selling point for the accommodation was that it was supposed to be very close to where we would be stepping off the ES - Gare Du Nord. From what I had read on the various review sites, this one seemed rather business like, where I assume people stop off when waiting on meetings and conferences etc. Despite this, we only really wanted someplace well located and welcoming, as we'd be spending the majority of the time checking out the sites and touristy spots of the city. So on Thursday the 16th of April, 2015, we set off for 2 nights in Mercure Terminus Nord. Here's how it went.
Day #1

First on the agenda was a trip to Notre Dame as it was situated only 2 miles south of the hotel. Such a stroll let's you get your bearings sharpish as if you do go on foot, you'll soon learn that pedestrians, drivers and cyclists alike are all insane when it comes to traffic. There were hordes of traffic everywhere (which we later learned was partly down to a protest about migrants) and despite there being crossings scattered everywhere, people just strut out into the road whatever the circumstance. Parisians don't seem to give ambulances, fire engines or police cars priority either. Anyway, we got there and took it all in, then headed for dinner, dodging the street corner selling 'fresh' seafood - good lord it stank! - and decided on some Italian (of all the places.. reasoning coming up) with good pizza and pasta, then we found a delightful little place called TeaTime where we stopped for a go on a shisha and milkshake (they do great white chocolate ones).

On the way back we checked out Notre Dame again, which by the way looks fantastic at night. This time though, there was a large group of joggers who stuck together because a few of them had rucksacks with speakers blearing out decent BPM workout music, good idea. After that though, we witnessed the dark side of Paris. My girlfriend made use of a handy navigation app on her iPhone only for some lanky arabic bloke to crash into her deliberately and swipe the phone from her hand. I just saw that she looked distressed and chased after the bastard, confronted him with words that cannot be said in polite company and to my surprise, he handed it over almost instantly. Then Lauren gave him an earful of expletives and with honour and gadgets restored, we headed back.

Day #2

After the day before's troubles and upon realisation that so much walking had caused tremendous aches, pains and blisters, we decided it was worth attempting The Metro. At first it was troublesome as our train appeared to go in the opposite direction and we needed to keep looking for the right one. Prices were fairly low and are paid for in bundles of tickets, 1 to get in and get out, but if you do have trouble with tickets fear not because the one thing Parisians show genuine sympathy for is people stuck behind the gates and often ask if you want to quickly follow them through for free, Merci. Be careful when it comes to buying food down there though as we were put off thanks to scavenging gypsies who plagued the little stores by begging for food and money. Today was all about The Eiffel Tower, it being our anniversary and so we climbed it via the stairs (it was cheaper and the lines were shorter) good god did we ache after that debacle. Of course the view is beautiful and picturesque, there's several crummy gift shops (we bought a grand total of nothing) and a very appropriate little cafe where we chowed down on ham and cheese panninis.

After that it was time for a trip on a boat to sail along the canals (We grabbed some fairground slushies prior though.) The tour typically pointed out The Louvre and various sites including the traditional 'Love/Lock Bridges.' The trip came with pancakes served by a very surly woman who clearly didn't want to be there, hence I've forgotten their company name. A great feature of our hotel though was that it had a very upper class restaurant next door under the same name. They specialise in sea-food, neither I nor GF enjoy but we both found some delicious steaks on the menu which to this day, were the best I've ever had. The other half can't stand blood though and was reluctant - thankfully our waiter was the kindest man and came over perplexed and when we explained he was more than happy to burn it. Then came the Profiteroles, holy hell the Profiteroles, they were devine - and I'm not normally one for desserts. During the evening we made use of the bath and ordered room service which was fairly good value and served with a smile - a small bottle of white wine and one of my favourite beers, Kronenbourg - ahhh, le taste supreme.
Day #3

Check out time was 12 o'clock which is only slightly tough for me but worse so for the girlfriend as we had to stay a few more minutes whilst she did her hair, face etc. Staff were pretty cool with it - so just don't take the p*ss I guess. We boarded The Metro again due to its convenience, this time in search for The Catacombs. The line was massive, I'm talking 'going round several corners and streets'. There was a guy who made a living on selling water and soft drinks to those queuing. Instead, we grabbed a burger and bear near a local cafe, then stood out in the sun for 45 minutes to get it (eavesdropping on countless American conversations) It wasn't too expensive and boy did it go deep (the staircase was dizzying). I took photos but you're encouraged not to use the flash. We made friends with a rather sleepy looking security guard, very nice man, lots to say. When we emerged from the dark we were greeted with several gift shops - we got some dark humour fridge magnets - "Keep calm and remember: you will die." Then in typical picky English fashion we got McDonalds - classy. It was time to go and we picked up our luggage (which was held in reception safely with a free ticket system) and waited in the Gare Du Nord station which absolutely reeked of urine, much like the rest of Paris! This place was the worst part really as it was packed with no seats left and rude cheese eating surrender monkeys everywhere!
Facilities

The room was small but cosy and equipped with the following:
  • Bath/Shower combination (plus locked door)
  • Standard Toiletries
  • Clean Toilet and Sink
  • Retro Hairdryer
  • Free to use Television
  • Free Wifi (which required a short form)
  • Kettle
  • Electric Combination Safe
  • Wardrobe & Hangers
  • Free Refreshments (water/tea/creamers/sugar/coffee)
  • Large push together Bed that was still surprisingly comfy.
  • Many Pillows and Duvets.
  • Lamps and reading lights.
  • A Leather chair and Desk
  • Small Table
  • Telephone (Outgoing Calls & Room Service)
  • Curtains/Window
  • Air-con (couldn't figure it out though)

Didn't have:
  • Mini-Bar
  • Fridge/Freezer
  • Jacuzzi

Addendum
A lot of people moaning that not much was said about the hotel. I felt I said all that was necessary but clearly I was wrong. Congratulations, I shan't be writing about hotels anymore!

~ Photographs ~
Feel free to check out more photos taken with my Canon 700D and various lenses including Canon's very own EF-S 10mm - 18mm wide-angle zoom lens, EF 70mm - 300mm zoom lens & EF 24mm - 105mm zoom lens. Perhaps some videos from my Sony Handycam and GoPro Hero 3.

• Absinthe_Fairy published 03/06/2015
    Excellent review.
  • euphie published 02/06/2015
    e :o)
  • Secre published 02/06/2015
    I'm with Richard that this could do with more of a concentration on the hotel rather than your travels although a good read.