Review of "Metacam"

published 19/02/2007 | rosehall
Member since : 29/08/2006
Pro Effective painkiller for your dog
Cons Expensive

"Metacam"

Metacam has been on the market for a good few years now. Some people are a bit reluctant to start their elderly dogs on it as they feel it's the beginning of the end. (That's what I have had said to me on several occasions!!!) All I know that I never want my best friend to be in pain unnecessarily.

Why Used?
For alleviation of inflammation and pain in both acute and chronic musculo skeletal disorders. E.g.: pain after operations and arthritis. My dog Moby had it prescribed after an amputation of a front leg.

Where Do I Buy Metacam From?
Metacam is not available from pet stores as it's only available from your veterinary surgeon after your pet has been seen.

Packaging, Size And Price.
Metacam is packaged in a light purple coloured box complete with a small plastic syringe with dosing markers up to a 60 kg animal. The white plastic bottle with the Metacam liquid is designed to fit the syringe on the end and draw up the required dose for your dog. Very easy and simple to use. E.g. Moby was 20kg so he had the plunger drawn to the 20 mark.

Metacam comes in 3 sizes 10, 32 or 100ml bottles. The price I paid for the 32ml bottle was £21.16 including VAT. I don't know how much the smaller bottles are as I always have the largest bottle.

Dosage
As prescribed by your veterinary surgeon but is usually 0.1mg Metacam per Kg bodyweight. Usually given once in 24 hours (again unless given different directions from your veterinary surgeon) with food.

There can be side effects as with any medication such as loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhoea but your veterinary surgeon should have taken all this into consideration before prescribing as to whether your pet would be suitable for Metacam.

It is a really good painkiller and no-one likes to see their pet in pain.

I haven't gone into too much detail as don't want to bore people.

Thank you for reading.

• justarube published 09/12/2016
    VH
  • Bigbaz published 28/02/2007
    It is also used for cats but there have been quite a lot of deaths in felines put down to it..Baz
  • MALDIVEDIVER published 19/02/2007
    Thanks for this info, my freind has a German short haired pointer she is getting on a bit now and has pain in her spine- I will forward your review to her- thanks Mary