Hotel - 45 West 35 Street, New York City, NY 10001, USA - 2 Stars - 170 Rooms

Review of "Metro Hotel, New York City"

published 03/03/2017 | diddldonna
Member since : 05/04/2012
I have returned to this site after having a break from reviewing and have come back as really miss the community and building up trust and friendship. Due to my break I need to catch up on my ratings for others please bare with me :) thank you.
Pro Location, Friendly staff, Breakfast.
Cons Traffic noise.
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Excellent Hotel with great location"

Hotel Metro address

45 W 35th St New York NY 10001

Tel (212) 947-2500 Toll Free Reservations: (800)356-3870 Fax: (212) 279-1310

Please also find them on Facebook.

This hotel is located between 5th and 6th Ave, 1 block away from the empire state building. It is in an area known as midtown.

From JFK Airport we paid $70 which is around £57 (Current exchange rate) for a taxi which also included tips and toll fee.

Also can be reached via the metro station (34 St Herald square)

Check in at 4pm and Check out at 12 noon.

There is no parking at the hotel however they can help find you parking else where at discounted rates.

Arrival.

The taxi driver found the hotel very easily and once we entered the building we was greeted with a smile. The lady on reception was happy and welcoming even at 10pm and had us checked in quickly and explained all we needed to know. I.e when breakfast was and where our room was located. She also wished us happy anniversary, On arriving in our room which was simple to find we found a lovely note and chocolates for our anniversary which was a lovely surprise.

Hotel Amenities:

The hotel metro includes: Concierge services (Really helpful and helps you save money), Free newspapers and tourist leaflets in lobby, Fitness facilities, Restaurant Bar/lounge, Business center, Porter/bellhop (You can leave luggage here before and after stay), 24-hour front desk Multilingual staff. The hotel provides free breakfast of cereals, muffins, toast and yogurts. If you wanted a cooked breakfast it was $5.95 which is £4.85 (current exchange rate). They also have a roof top area with views of the empire state building. The hotel also offers dry cleaning, please see in room book which includes lots of information on whats available at the hotel as well as useful information for the surrounding area. The hotel in the lobby has free 24/7 hot drinks like tea, coffee and hot chocolate which is great to take back to your room after a long day.

There is free wifi which is accessed via a code which you are given at check-in, you need to add the code each day so don't loose the card. We found the wifi very quick and no problems getting access at all being on the 11th floor.

The rooms can be reached via stairs or 2 lifts which can fit around 6 people, any more and it would be uncomfortable. We never had to wait long for the lift going down or up.

The hotel also provides wine tasting in the bar between 5pm to 6.30pm where you receive free wine tasting every day between these times. The hotel has a restaurant next door called the Metro Grill which offers American cuisine for lunch and dinner, we tried this out once and had a lovely meal and great service.

Deposit: We had to pay a room deposit on arrival which we put on our credit card, this was $250 which is £203 (Current exchange rate) and is something most hotels in New York do. You can also pay by cash too, the deposit I paid was returned to my card within 2 days of returning home.

Rooms:

Total number of rooms in the hotel include 183 on 13 floors with various different room types which includes:

Double Room with One Double Bed,
Queen Room,
Premier King Room,
King Room,
Family Room.

We stayed in a Premier Queen room 1104 and it was a great size, I found the bed really comfortable with 2 pillows each (This is great as some hotels you have to ask for extras). The room included everything you need like a coffee/tea maker with various different drinks to make and was refilled daily, fridge with welcome complementary drinks (2 x Cokes and 2x diet cokes), iron and ironing board, large safe, hairdryer, toiletries. (Please note all rooms might not include all these due to going up a grade of room type). We also liked the mp3 docking station and alarm clock. Room has air con which we didn't use due to being winter, the rooms were very warm. The only problem we had was the noise from outside which is normal being in new york but we felt that this could be reduced with better windows. We used ear plugs which did fix the problem and after a few days I was so tired it no longer was a problem. The bathrooms are quit large with a great walk in shower which includes various different options to shower i.e a rain shower which we used all the time. The pressure of the showers was great with no problems. The room also had a large flat screen Tv with many channels to select and was simple to use. There is also a large desk to sit at and the room also included two comfortable chairs with a foot stool. The blinds in the room blocked out the light and were easy to pull up and down. There was plenty enough drawer space for the two of us to use and the cupboard had lots of space for our luggage and to hang coats etc. Also for those rainy days there is a umbrella located in the cupboard to use.

Room 1104 was excellent as it included a part view of the Empire state building and is located at the front of hotel metro.

Please see photos for our room.

Location

The location is excellent as it is not far to walk for most tourist locations. Central Park was half hour walk north, Empire state building 4 minute walk south, times square 10 minute walk north. Maceys is just located on the corner 2 minutes walk away and this is also location for a Metro station. Maddison square gardens is also only a 10-15 minute walk which is great for visiting a sports event or concert. The Intrepid sea, air and space museum is a 25 minute walk away and worth a visit. We did walk from staten island ferry to the hotel which took 1 and half hours, I would advise getting a taxi instead as it was a long old walk however was nice to explore the neighbourhoods.

There were many food places to eat near by like Mcdonald's, shake shack, Pizza Slices, Irish bar, food carts to name a few. All these were within 1 block, many more can be located walking further away. You can also find shops on most of the streets surrounding the hotel which include small grocery items and pharmacy goods, clothes shops and many tourist shops.

We always found our way back to the hotel with no problems and felt quit safe in the area, it is very busy which helped me feel safer.

Price

This hotel was recommended by a lady I spoke to via virgin holidays from her own personal visit and I am so glad I went with this choice.

We stayed for 5 nights in Feb and cost £1100 for 2 adults through virgin holidays and included direct flights. We paid little more because of the room type.

Staff

All staff in the hotel I found very welcoming and helpful, the bell service man ordered us a taxi on our last day and was very nice in helping us to understand what price we will pay for taxi.

The cleaning staff did a great job daily cleaning our room and always said hello when walking past in the halls.

The staff at breakfast kept the breakfast bar full and were always helpful if you had any questions.

Not once did I come across a staff member that was unhappy.

Overall

I give this hotel 9/10 and would stay at this hotel again mainly for location and the room being so comfortable, I would have given a 10 if they updated the windows to limit the outside traffic noise.

• kiss_me2070 published 06/03/2017