Review of "Michael Kors M5556"

published 08/04/2013 | katykicker
Member since : 11/12/2005
Pro Easy to slip on and off, looks great, stylish, comfortable to wear, works perfectly.
Cons The watch can sometimes reflect light off the glass/dial and cause a little glare.
How comfortable is it to wear?
Range of Features
Look & Feel

"Michael Kors compliments my style - for a price of course!"

Watches are something that I absolutely love. I have been able to get a 30% discount on full priced products at Signet Group stores (Ernest Jones, H Samuel & Leslie Davis) through a friend of mine working in one of their stores and that has only served to accelerate my love of watches as well as pearls, gold and other miscellaneous items of jewellery.

This particular Michael Kors watch, model number 5556, has been one I have owned since it was released in Ernest Jones stores in October 2012. I spotted it the day it arrived in the window, thanks to my friend texting me, and when I spotted it I knew I had to try it on immediately! I ended up buying it that day and I paid £160.30 for my watch compared to a selling price in store of £229.00. Obviously this discount helped sway my decision to buy one of the more expensive Michael Kors ladies watches.

I love a big statement watch, particularly when I am at a party in a dress or wearing something that shows off my arms. This particular watch caught my eye because it is large and because it looks just a little like a Rolex day/date gold watch. I feel that watches really liven up an outfit and I love yellow gold looking watches because I have yellow gold wedding rings and I like to coordinate my watches with those most of the time.

This particular Michael Kors watch is model number MK5556 which is displayed on the back of the watch. In addition to this my watch has a serial number, the Michael Kors branding and details about the water resistancy of the watch. This particular watch is water resistant to 100 metres and this is known to me because it states 10ATM on the back of the watch. My serial number on this specific watch is 251207 which is unusual as that was the first Christmas I ever spent with my husband and on that occasion he bought me a small, cheap gold watch and that is basically where my love of watches grew. This feels like it is meant to be and this also helped sway my decision when I knew I loved this watch. I have worn this watch for washing up, on the occasion where I have forgotten and just plunged my hands in the sink, and I have even worn it swimming on two separate occasions with no problems at all. Wearing this watch swimming could lead to the plating coming off but I have owned this particular watch for 6 months give or take a few days and I have had no problems at all with it tarnishing, this despite me wearing it twice a week constantly for the first few months that I owned it. The buttons must not be depressed when the watch is underwater so obviously I have never done that.

This watch came boxed in a brown Michael Kors box with the watch sitting on a brown cushion that was a little difficult to remove from the box once the watch was on it. I received a one year manufacturers guarantee on the battery and a two year guarantee on the inside movement of the watch. As of yet I have had no problems with this watch but I wouldn't expect any as Michael Kors is a brand that I have come to know and trust over the last few years and this watch was obviously only just put in the window when I bought it and therefore was probably only manufactured a month or two before. There was a booklet that came with this watch, which I have never bothered to read, that has a date and stamp in the back confirming when I bought this watch for my guarantee purposes.

With regards to the bracelet of this watch, which is gold plated stainless steel, I have had to have 3 links removed. This was done in store and took just a matter of minutes which is always good. Other watches I own have had 4 links removed despite the fact that these links are smaller than some of the others.

This particular watch has a quartz chronograph movement. This displays seconds, minutes (up to 30) and the third hand also shows at a glance roughly what hour of the day it is. The three buttons on the side control the chronograph running it, stopping it and resetting it (the top and bottom buttons) and the middle button allows me to change the date and the time. The buttons are simple to press but do require a little bit of force. This is ideal as it stops this from being knocked and accidentally started helping to preserve battery of course. The buttons were simple to get to grips with, as I already owned another couple of Michael Kors chronograph watches when I bought this, but I have never needed to read the instructions anyway. The chronograph on this watch is very accurate and I have no problems pulling the middle button (the crown) out either one or two notches to adjust the date or time.

This whole watch is gold plated stainless steel with a gold coloured dial. The hands are gold also so overall this watch probably does seem like gold overkill to some! I love it for this reason, despite the fact that the light occasionally catches it in a way that causes glare. The dial is lovely to look at and is functional and simple for me to read. The bezel of this watch is beveled with lots of notches all over it and this is what gives it the Rolex appearance the most for me. Obviously this is just my personal opinion and nowhere do Michael Kors say that this is a Rolex wannabe watch, although I have been asked if I am wearing a Rolex a few times, twice by random strangers! Something that I find very odd! The bracelet of this watch is two different sized links that are slotted together as just one link but the differences give the watch a contrasting look that I really enjoy. This watch has an expander clasp that I just need to depress on both sides to get it to open up. This is easy to use and it takes just seconds to slip this watch on or take it off. This expander clasp style causes wear to stainless steel plated watches, as it has done with this one, but this wearing is minimal and I can't see it when the clasp is closed.

The watch sits quite high on my wrist and this can lead to me catching it from time to time on cabinets or on the cupboard or other random places but I have not caused any damage to the glass or the watch at all apart from one scratch at the back where the clasp closes that I did almost as soon as I bought the watch and started wearing it.

In regards to the overall wear of this watch it is barely wearing at all. I have been very careful not to get perfume or lotions on this watch and I usually take this watch off when showing, scrubbing my hands/arms, or using hand cream, cooking, cleaning or generally just doing something that could lead to my watch being damaged. It isn't a problem for me to take my watch off a couple of times a day because it is so simple to slip back on again. I have got a few scratches on my watch but the glass is in perfect condition. The clasp works perfectly still and the watch itself has no issues with time keeping or the chronograph function. The watch is perfectly in sync at all times and it is simple to change the time or date as needed.

Overall I am really pleased with the quality of this watch. This watch, in my opinion, is very fashionable and my friends and family have given me lots of compliments while I am wearing it. Several people at parties have asked if I am wearing a Michael Kors watch so I guess that a few people have had a look at this watch online or in store perhaps and liked it enough to remember it (or not liked it lots perhaps!). I feel good when I am wearing this watch and it is perhaps one of the heaviest watches in my collection but that isn't a bad thing really. The bracelet is a shiny gold, which isn't clear in the photo above perhaps, but it really is a shiny yellow gold looking watch - just not as expensive as an actual yellow gold watch of course! I have medium sized wrists and I feel that this watch looks fantastic on my wrist, either one. I love wearing this watch and like most of the watches in my collection it is one of my favourites! I am rating this watch 5 out of 5 stars and feel that it really is worthy of every single star!

Product Information : Michael Kors M5556

Crystal / Glass Type: Mineral Glass

Water Resistant: 100 metres

Functions: Chronograph

Listed on Ciao since: 05/04/2013

Michael Kors M5556 - Review - Michael Kors compliments my style - for a price of course!

katykicke... 5

katykicker

About me: Back writing & RATING! If you would like to be added to my COT please do let me know :) No need to thank me for E's unless you fancy a chat :)

Member since:11.12.2005

Michael Kors compliments my style - for a price of course!

08.04.2013

Advantages:
Easy to slip on and off, looks great, stylish, comfortable to wear, works perfectly .

Disadvantages:
The watch can sometimes reflect light off the glass/dial and cause a little glare .

12 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. cha97michelle
  2. elfbwillow
  3. taz123456

This particular Michael Kors watch, model number 5556, has been one I have owned since it was released in Ernest Jones stores in October 2012. I spotted it the day it arrived in the window, thanks to my friend texting me, and when I spotted it I knew I had to try it on immediately! I ended up buying it that day and I paid 160.30 for my watch compared to a selling price in store of 229.00. Obviously this discount helped sway my decision to buy one of the more expensive Michael Kors ladies watches.

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

Add the first comment!