Review of "Michael Page"

published 22/08/2009 | Speakeeze
Member since : 22/08/2009
Good
Pro Diligent, client list, professional
Cons Losing candidate focus
Quality/Suitability of job offers
Office personnel/Consultants
Consultant feedback time
Range of prospective employers
Flexibility of office hours

"Michael Page Recruitment, mixed response..."

Michael Page are one of the biggest recruitment agencies in the UK. They have an impressive client list containing most of the top blue-chip organisations and have specialisms including finance, acountancy, retail and business management.

Personally, I've had both very good and very bad experiences from the retail division. I initially contacted Michael Page some 6/7 years ago when I was seeking a move within the retail market. On receiving my CV they were quick to respond and diligently invited me in for an initial meeting to discuss different opportunities. They are refreshingly good in giving you good straight forward and honest advice regarding your CV and how you come across. They will also give you a plethora of information about each opportunity they have at the time.

Michael Page retail placed me with a large organisation and got me a great job with a great salary and I thank them for that. But this was 6/7 years ago and I don't know what's changed since but now I feel somewhat let down by them.

As one of their candidates, I believed their strength to be in knowing their clients comprehensively and also knowing the candidates inside out. They used to take time to understand how your own skills are transferable rather than simply tick a cross referenced list between your CV and a vacancy description.

More latterly I have sent my CV to them on no less than 17 occasions. On each of these occasions I've received a bland email response telling me that someone will be in touch. I'm guessing that no call means that they've received better CVs. That's fine and understandable, but if I'm good to speak to when there's a fee involved (6/7 years ago) surely I'm worth a quick call to discuss circumstances etc. I've had calls and interviews via other agents that are working on the same vacancies ac Michael Page, so its disappointing that they seem to be overlooking CVs.

So it appears that if you're CV matches a vacancy word-for-word they be in touch. If it doesn't then forget it. I know its a tough time for recruiters and there are hundreds of applicants for each position. However, they'll be losing loyalty and precious goodwill if they don't sort themselves out.

I sincerely hope that they can get back to the good old Michael Page of old and wish them luck during the next few months. If they pick up the phone to me then I'll update the review.

offers "Michael Page"