Michelin Macadam 100X Rear Tires

Michelin Macadam 100X Rear Tires

Motorbike Rear Tire, Motorbike Front Tire

Review of "Michelin Macadam 100X Rear Tires"

published 20/02/2007 | exup35
Member since : 05/01/2007
Pro relative cost, grip in wet, suits wide range of power output
Cons can get 4 cars tyres for the price of one of these -
Performance
Road Handling
Appearance

"Helping keep you on the black stuff"

FZR400RR Donington Park Macadams fitted

FZR400RR Donington Park Macadams fitted

Personal history
----------------------

I first started using Michelin Macadams on my FZR 400 exup, which for the size of machine used quite a fat rear tyre (160/60/17)

I was recommended the Macadam, as the tyre which was already on the bike had got a puncture while I was riding, overheated and wore the tread away. I needed a new tyre quickly as the FZR was my main transport to work.

I have since fitted Macadams to my Suzuki RF600R, and also my Daytona 955i (by this time the Macadam 100X has been developed into the Pilot Road - but in some places is still called the Macadam).

Riding
---------

The FZR was known for its handling, and even though the Macadam isn't supposed to be out and out sports tyre, but more of an all rounder, the grip was excellent, especially in the wet. The amount of confidence it gave me on this bike in the wet was great. To say it gave such a high level of grip and the mileage returned was probably over 7000 miles. This on a bike kicking out about 60 bhp. Also taking in a weekend at Donington Park to take advantage of the free Yamaha Weekend, where I managed to push the rear tyre right up to its edges, with a pillion on too,

The RF600 produced around 90 bhp but used the same size tyres as the FZR. not only was performance excellent, the mileage was pretty similar too. The thing to point out is the RF isn't supposed to be a sportsbike the way the FZR was. At the time of its release the FZR 400 was the quickest turning and hardest braking bikes on the road. THe RF would never reach this kind of performance, and even though was a more powerful machine, you would never expect to be able to ride it as hard.

Nevertheless, the Macadams made the best of the bikes ability, and not once did I ever feel that they were going to let me down, unlike a bad couple of experiences I had with Avon Azaro's on my older Suzuki GSX600, which, without warning kicked the back end out a couple of times. although I always managed to get it back under control, I never had this on the michelins.

As to the Triumph Daytona, the front michelin is on and performing well, the rear however is still sat in the garage waiting for current rear to wear out. I did wonder wether the two tyres would be compatible as alot of manufacturers dont recommend mixing different tyres. After the new front was fitted though, the bike was checked out and handles OK. so I am not going to change a perfectly serviceable tyre away as the rear tyres wear at least twice as fast as the fronts.

Product Range
--------------------

There seems to be quite a good coverage of bikes covered by the Macadam, and it was the standard fitment to the Honda CBR600 for a few years. Its generally the sports and sports touring style of bikes that this tyre seems to be produced for, and these bikes tend to have the common sizes. However saying that, the Daytona rear is a 190 section which is quite large, at the time the Daytona was released this was the biggest size rear on a sportsbike, and I dont think at the time the Macadam was available.

The price is the main reason why I started with this tyre though, and the rear will set you back at around £100, although the last tyres I bought were as a pair and so this made it cheaper - plus Michelin threw ina European Road atlas for free too. I always say that its better then a kick up the backside.

The tread pattern is still recognisable as Macadam, no other tyre looks like this, and although they say tread patterns on bike tyres are mainly for cosmetic reason so you can identify the tyre, I alwats liked the look of them. This goes for front and back.
Remember to check the direction of rotation (a little arrow on the tyre sidewall shows this). Its rare but dealers have been known on occasions to fit tyres the wrong way round, especially on front wheels. If it is on wrong them tell the fitter,, they should swap it round for you at no extra cost.

Remember though - as I said above the Macadam is not a full on sports tyre. It can be pushed hard yes, but its not designed for that kind of abuse. I wouldn't want to know how the tyre would react when its limits are found. As an all rounder though, I havent had any better, and that includes the wide range of different bikes I rode when instructing which had a winde range of different tyres on.

• gaunts published 01/03/2007
    interesting subject and review with precise detail for a buyer/decision. gaunty
  • Julieshobs published 21/02/2007
    what an unusual subject, good review. Jules.
  • drow22 published 21/02/2007