Michelin Pilot Road Rear Tires

Michelin Pilot Road Rear Tires

Motorbike Rear Tire

Review of "Michelin Pilot Road Rear Tires"

published 11/10/2007 | elmopants
Member since : 07/07/2007
Pro Look ok, not to expensive, good feel and turning.
Cons Might not be great for really fast riders.
Performance
Road Handling
Appearance

"Great confidence inspiring rubber you can trust"

First off I know how much stick Michelin have had over their performance the MotoGP! I am glad to report that I have not had such poor results from my Michelin Pilot Road tyres fitted to my trusty Yamaha FZS600 Fazer. I had these rubber boots fitted in replacement for the recommended Bridgestones that the bike was fitted with from new. I didn't really like the feel of the earlier tyres with the turn in quite sharp and at lean I didn't feel quite at ease on them. So I asked around and was told that the Michelin's should suit the way I ride with a nice gently turn into the corners and good even grip across the profile no matter what sort of angle. I have to say I haven't been dissapointed with them so far.

So far I have covered about 2,000 miles on a set of these rubbers and they show only the slightest signs of wear on the rear as I did a couple of runs on main roads causing a little squaring of the tyre but no great issue. The front still looks like new and does as promised. The old Brisgestones felt twitchy turning in sharply and made the bike feel like it needed lifting out of corners, the Michelins turn in easily and evenly at all angles, giving much more confidence for me. I feel like I can approach corners with more speed and turn in calmly knowing that I'll get the same feel from the front at 30 or 60 miles per hour. With this I have been able to halve my chicken strips on the rear without feeling like I am taking a risk. I am not a fast rider but the Michelins allow me more confidense and I don't feel like I have to brake so hard before corners and can carry more speed.

All in if you are looking for a confidence inspiring road tire for a mid range bike I recomment these. I don't know how they would cope for the knee down brigade but great for those who just want to feel more in control of their bike.

The profile of the tyres both front and rear is a very even radius, nice a round, this may sound daft but the Bridgestones were quite tall and almost pointed. This round profile means that there is no sudden turn in as you lean over, just a nice smooth transition from one side to the other. On my Fazer this translates to steady and reassuring steering and overall an increased feeling of grip.

I can't really comment much on durability although suffered several punctures in the old Bridgestones but (touch wood) none yet in the Michelins. I know that could just be luck but worth a mention. I have done about 2,000 miles on them so far and they are only just showing signs of squaring off at the rear, the front is still like new. I don't push the bike or the tyres too hard when I ride so this might be something to do with it.

• death2mullets published 12/10/2007
    Clear and concise review :)
  • Expired-Account published 11/10/2007
    Great review, I shall show this one to my better half, very helpful
  • just.bcoz published 11/10/2007