Microdirect

Review of "Microdirect"

published 02/11/2004 | Omertron
Member since : 14/10/2003
Pro Cheap...
Cons Customer service, delivery, long wait times, lied to consitantly

"What a terrible experience"

Having decided to purchase a new small form factor pc for my home network, I did a lot of searching on the internet for a company that had all of the components that I required so that I could order them all from the same place.

I eventually settled on Micro Direct, as they had all of the components that I was looking for, had a reasonable web site and were localish to me (I try and support local businesses where I can).

I placed my order on Monday 25th October at 11.22 and chose the 1-3 delivery option. As I was going to be away on business for a couple of days, I thought that paying for next day delivery wouldn't be worth it. Having checked in with my girlfriend (who was waiting in for the parcel to arrive) and finding that it hadn't, on Thursday I decided to give them a ring and see what was happening with it, as the web site still said "awaiting despatch".

The first guy I spoke to said that it was going out today and that he couldn't give me a tracking number until after the parcels were all sent out at 4.30 (remember this time) and he would call me back after this to confirm the dispatch number. No phone call arrived, but an email did saying that they could not tell me the consignment number until Amtrak received the parcel (WRONG... its on the label, any decent system should be able to tell them this!) and I should ring back tomorrow... I ring first thing in the morning and after a short wait I get my number. Now, assuming that the package had been sent out on Thursday, it should be on an Amtrak van somewhere being delivered, if it's on a van it must be trackball, so I check the Amtrak website which tells me the consignment number is incorrect or not collected for delivery... I ring the local Amtrak depot who tell me the same thing... I check the MicroDirect site, which tells me "Awaiting Despatch" so no surprises there!

So I decide to call them, and over the course of 5+ phone calls, each time they promise to call back with details of why I haven't yet received the delivery I finally learn that it hasn't yet been sent out... NO! you mean you lied?.... So about 1pm I loose my temper and demand to speak to a manager. The manager contradicts what his staff have said earlier (that the parcel is still in the warehouse and if I wanted to drive for an hour I could come and collect it) and tells me its been sent out already... but hold on, it's not 4.30pm yet... but apparently just for me, they've called Amtrak out to collect it... perhaps in the mistaken belief that it will get to me quicker... nope...

Well, the weekend goes by, with no delivery, not that I expected it to, but sometimes you do have to live in hope... and sure enough Monday arrives and so does the parcel. Woo hoo! At last... but wait.. there does not seem to be enough boxes here, I check the delivery note and it lists all my order (Incidentally, to rub salt into the late deliver of the parcel, a note at the bottom lists the delivery date as Tuesday 26th. Well, all boxes checked, and sure enough we're missing the system case... now I'm back to waiting for phone calls from them and trying to find out what's happening.

I've spoken to 3 people this morning, who've all promised to call back... and nothing so far, I'm about due to call back again and see what the new excuse is...

Overall, steer clear of this company, because quite frankly the savings are not worth the risk when something goes wrong…

• djdarko published 02/11/2004
    This is why I would never buy a cheap computer on the internet! 'Whoops' springs to mind. Good review, however. All the best, Martin.