Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000

Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000

Share every detail with friends and family in HD. This full featured webcam delivers smooth, detailed video and crystal clear audio.

Review of "Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000"

published 26/10/2015 | Nymphypig
Member since : 14/05/2015
Good
Pro Performs well in different light levels, easy to install
Cons Mic pics up background noise, laggy with effects
Picture quality
Video capture rate
Resistance to colour bleeding
Colour sensitivity
Design

"Basic Budget Webcam"

My 12 year old daughter is not at that very social age where, even though she's been with her friends all day at school, she wants to talk to them all night too. When I was a young kiddo, I had to wait until after 6pm when calls to other local rate numbers were free, but nowadays with whatsapp and skype, there are plenty of ways to stay in touch for free. Although I already had a decent webcam on my main PC, my daughter wanted one for use on the the second desktop that she uses, whilst I needed a new mic for that PC for gaming nights. We didn't want to spend a huge amount though, and after some browsing online settled on the Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000.

Price and Availability

According to Microsoft, this camera has a recommended retail price of £29.99. I believe we paid about £17 for hours from an independant retailer, but it's easily available on Amazon.co.uk starting from £18.72 and going up to just over £25.
System Requirements

*Windows® 7/Windows Vista®/Windows XP (with Service Pack 2 or higher); VGA video calling

*Intel Dual-Core 1.6 GHz or higher and 1 GB of RAM; 720p HD recording: Intel Dual-Core 3.0 GHz or higher, 2GB of RAM

*1.5 GB free space

*USB 2.0

*Windows-compatible speakers or headphones

Installation and Setup

Installation was nice and easy - simply plug this into your USB port and it automatically finds the drivers for you and invites you to install them, checking for any relevant driver updates. This took no more than 5 or so minutes to complete, though I imagine to a certain extent in depends on your download speed, but was easy enough, and thankfully free of suggestions of other stuff I might like to download and install.
Usage

One of the features on the lifecam dashboard (itself a very simple and intuitive piece of software) was the various effects she could add onto her videos - various hats and wigs, that sort of thing. She spent quite a lot of time when the camera was new playing with all of these, although I found when I tried a few out that they actually caused the video to lag a little behind which was slightly annoying.

I had been quite keen to play with this camera as one of the claims made in the manual is a rate of up to 30FPS in 720p mode. Having not had an HD camera before, I was really quite keen to play with this, but in actuality, I found that when in 720p mode the framerate was much lower at 10fps, so there were some issues in the video with movements seeming jerky, which were not noticable much in a standard web cam chat, but were more noticable in videos my duaghter filmed of herself dancing where there was a lot of movement to be recorded. We ended up lowering the resolution of the video to 640 x 360 pixels when recording anything action heavy, as it just made the video much smoother.

I had some issues with the stand of the camera, as although it allowed the camera to swivel from left to right, it could not be tilted up or down which meant having to adjust the chair height or the height of the monitor to which the camera was attached in order to avoid cutting off the top of the head. It's one of those bendy stands so can take a little fiddling to get it into the right position, but does mean that it works both hung over the top of a monitor or freestanding on the desk. It has quite a long USB cable, a little under 2 metres, that means there is a lot of flexibility in positioning, and also has a small LED light that lights up when the camera is recording.

The microphone seemed pretty decent - people I was talking to could hear me easily, although sadly they could also hear a lot of background noise too, which was annoying for both them and me as whenever my particularly loud washing machine kicked in mid conversation we'd all end up stuck in a feedback loop as the noise was taken in through my mic, played through their speakers, then picked up again by their mic. Luckily, this hasn't been a problem too often, but it is annoying when it does happen.

The camera works well in a variety of light levels - it works best in a well naturally lit room, though it's fairly good in a dim light setting too, although it does lose out a lot on detail then, particularly when it comes to dark shades. The face tracking and auto focus features work well though, and I don't tend have any problems with it losing focus and becoming blurry, and if it ever does it's a simple fix - put a finger right in front of the cam and then back it away until it focuses correctly.

Conclusion

This is a decent enough camera for my daughter to play around with, and when I've used it I've not had many real problems, other than the mic picking up background noise too much and issues with slow framerate and jerky movements. I think it is a very basic budget camera, and certainly if you were looking for something with really stellar performance and features , you probably wouldn't want to look at this one. But as something my daughter can use, that I'm not going to be terribly heartbroken if I need to replace in a year or two, it's fine.

• sharper_fin published 14/11/2015
    Looks good for the price
  • danielclark691 published 13/11/2015
    very well covered
  • StewwyB published 28/10/2015
    Vh

offers "Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000"