Midnight Special (DVD)

Midnight Special (DVD)

Review of "Midnight Special (DVD)"

published 09/09/2017 | IzzyS
Member since : 27/07/2006
Thanks for all rates. Let me know if I dont re-rate you - I will rectify it ASAP. My thoughts go to all affected by the recent tragedies.
Pro Sinister/menacing tone/atmospheric, touching, intriguing
Cons Confusing (lack of background info) may really frustrate some?, some mumbled dialogue
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"A Film About Human Vulnerabilities & Special Powers"

- Story -

After a young boys father realises that his son may have special powers, he fears for their safety, as word gets out and a rather spooky cult starts to have interest in his son. Will they be safe and does his son really do have special powers? you'll have to watch the film to find out.

- More Info., Thoughts & Opinions -

This is a drama, mystery and science fiction based film and it covers themes including cults, father and son relationships, police, homage and faith. First off, I felt confused by what was going on in the first part of the film, as it very much starts as if we're half way through whatever is going on and the viewer is left in the dark. Speaking of dark, there are numerous scenes set during night and thus which have quite low lighting. This along with the rather sombre and doom-laden tone music certainly did leave me wondering what had led up to the events we're shown. I felt it seemed quite sinister and I found myself feeling eager to understand more about this somewhat secretive cult that seemed to be at the heart of the plot.

There are moments when things happen really quite suddenly, taking me aback. I think its fair to say that this has the feel of some sci-fi drama shows, perhaps like The X Files. Science Fiction is definitely an element of the plot but on the same hand, it is also quite a 'human' film as well, being set in modern day, with human vulnerabilities very much being of importance in terms of the plot. While the plot is undoubtedly a bit 'out there' (not in terms of being set outside Earth, which, as I say, it isn't but moreso in terms of the main plot being not entirely believable. Sure cults have existed and people may believe others to have certain unique traits but genuine supernatural powers?), I liked the way it was handled, with a somewhat mundane setting and a strong sense of menacing tension. I'd also like to point out that this is certainly not a superhero type of sci-fi film - it doesn't come from the world of Marvel comics or anything like that (certainly not to the best of my knowledge in any case).

Cast wise, the film stars Michael Shannon as the boys father, Roy. I wasn't aware of his work before but I found him to play the role really quite convincingly, seeming very much concerned for the welfare of his child, while said chid, Alton, is played by Jaeden Lieberher. He seems surprisingly quiet and introverted for most of the time - he can seem like a normal 10 year old (or thereabouts I guessed his age to be) and at other times, its clear he does seem to either have certain powers or to be at the mercy of something bigger. Other cast members include Joel Edgerton as Lucas, Kirsten Dunset as Sarah, Adam Driver as Sevier and Sam Shepard as Calvin Meyer.

Content wise, the film contains some mild to moderate violence, including gunfire, although little in the way of injuries are depicted, certainly not in a gratuitous way. There are a couple of profanities but no especially strong language used and I'd say its potentially moderately frightening (mainly for younger viewers) at times, due to the tension and menacing tone and given the plot but otherwise there's little likely to offend or upset people. Its been given a 12 rating in the UK, due to this.

I noticed at the start that the dialogue seemed a bit mumbled and was somewhat hard to follow, which may also frustrate some (I watched it as a Blu-Ray rental, so I'd have expected better audio quality - I don't usually have issues following whats said on films I watch). As the film progressed, I realised that there was surprisingly little in the way of dialogue and I felt that was somehow poignant. I suppose the main theme at play is the parental bond and the strength of that is made very much clear, not through what is explicitly said but in the actions and behaviour of both father and child, which I did find somewhat touching.

I found the ending left me with many questions but then with this sort of sci-fi/mystery type film, thats almost always the case I suppose. I did feel like I'd have liked to have known a bit more, had a bit more background into the story and what happened after but maybe thats just me being a bit nit-picky. Its certainly spooky and potentially thought provoking but a bit of me was left wanting more - whether thats a good or bad thing, I'll leave for you to decide.

- Would I Recommend It? -

Yes I would recommend this film, as I found it intriguing and tense and it has a good cast. It kept me wondering throughout, what would happen next and I enjoyed watching it.

- Availability -

If your interested in seeing this, you can buy it on DVD for £5.00 at Amazon UK, at time of publishing this review.

- Final Note / Thank You -

Thank you for reading my review, I hope you found it useful and thanks, as ever, for any and all rates and comments.

• jb0077 published 13/09/2017
    vh
  • euphie published 12/09/2017
    vh :o)
  • NBCMad92 published 11/09/2017
    Great

offers "Midnight Special (DVD)"