Mighty to Save - Hillsong

Mighty to Save - Hillsong

1 CD(s) - Gospel - Label: Hillsongs Australia - Distributor: AMD/Universal Music - Released: 24/07/2006 - 828768831021

Review of "Mighty to Save - Hillsong"

published 08/10/2012 | dynamicnurse
Member since : 30/07/2007
Good
Pro Some strong parts.
Cons Some weak parts.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Saving What Exactly...?"

This review is going to be on an album called Mighty To Save, which is a live offering from a Christian church called Hillsong. However for the purposes of those of you who may not know a lot about them, I would just like to write a quick word or two about them - and for those of you who do, then I can only apologise for this next section.

As already pointed out, Hillsong is a Christian centre and it has been going for some twenty years or so. It was formed in Sydney Australia following two churches merging, the two ministers of each respective church being father and son. Not that it has really got anything much to do with, but one of the driving forces behind it was the fact that it came to light that the father had been sexually molesting children in his youth group many years before, and his son advised him with a local council of other church leaders to stand down.

Hillsong after a time got too big for the original single sited church that it was occupying at that time, and so therefore it opened up a second base also in the same city but that was more on the outskirts (the original one was set up and is still based in a more inner city location). It has also in more recent times set up more satellite style churches, but this time in different countries around the world - London; Paris, and Kiev are all affiliated in some way to the main Hillsong brand to name but a few and all follow the similar styles that I am about to also describe.

As well as the main church campuses that have already been mentioned, Hillsong does also partake in many other activities also in order to reach out to different people (besides of course those things that have already been well established in their many main church buildings and/ or communities). These also include conferences for men; women, and young people respectively; Bible colleges; regular magazines or newsletters; television programmes and channels, and music albums both live and studio based (including on occasions ‘best of’ albums too).

Now, this particular album of course comes under the last subject heading that was mentioned (that being music) and was recorded live at one of the two main bases in Sydney on the 5th of March 2006. All of the songs of the album have been written by varying members of the music band and team, and include Darlene Zschech; Reuben Morgan; Marty Sampson; Joel Houston and others, to name but a few - those that have been mentioned are in Christian circles perhaps the most well known in terms of Christian singer songwriters, and those others who have not been mentioned are quite relatively unknown.

The album covers two CD’s, although the actual main part of the CD in terms of the live recording is on the first one. These two CD’s are laid out, as follows:

CD One (each song has short description to it, that says what I think that particular song is all about)

1. Take It All - talking about God/ Jesus taking everything; those who are lost; searching for truth; healing people.

2. The Freedom We Know - we are free because of Jesus, and nothing can compare to this.

3. For Who You Are - a simple song to God to remind Him of who He is to us.

4. You Alone Are God - a similar style of worship song to the previous one.

5. At The Cross - talking about what Jesus did when He died, and what happened on Good Friday.

6. From The Inside Out - a song that talks about the fact that although we mess up and try to things right, God picks us up and we are thankful for this.

7. Found - God found us, and how we were changed when He did.

8. More To See - a song that says that although we may have already come so far on our daily walk with Jesus Christ, there is still so much more that has yet to be revealed to us.

9. Adonai - a simple worship song, that offers up our praises.

10. I Believe - yet another more simple song, that talks about who we believe in.

11. Oceans Will Part - nothing will get in the way of our relationship with God, and asking Him to reveal Himself to us even further.

12. None But Jesus - the fact that nothing else or nobody else will do, only Jesus.

13. Higher - saying that the name of Jesus Christ is high above everything.
I Believe In You - linked in to the above song, just simply saying in response to the higher name of Jesus Christ that we believe in Him.

14. Mighty To Save - a triumphal finish, declaring who Jesus Christ is and what He does.

CD Two:

Worship Intensive, hosted by Darlene Zschech which shows her talking about the importance of leading worship (which is her job) and the importance of worship as a part of our daily lives (which is something for everyone to listen to).

Bonus DVD Clips - there is also a DVD to accompany this CD (as there is also a music book with full musical score/ guitar chords/ words for projecting on to the screens during the course of the main church service), and this section of the CD shows some bonus clips from the main DVD.

All of the songs are very upbeat and modern, and this is also reflected in the different forms of instruments that are used. They use keyboards; drums; percussion instruments; guitars, and brass and woodwind instruments. There are also lead and backing vocals; a choir or three, and dancers - all of which are used in their own different ways, in helping people to worship.

The main insert sleeve is black in colour, and has got the words to all of the songs listed so that people can follow them if they wish when they are listening to it - I do actually prefer to do this, as sometimes the words on the live recording are a little difficult to listen to in places. There are also photographs throughout, which of course are stills that have been taken from the DVD version of the recording and in places further photographs that were actually in fact taken during the course of the main recording by an individual. Alongside these things, there are also short snips of Bible verses and introductions from some of the main leaders on the church.

I do enjoy listening to Hillsong albums, or at least I would much rather say that I used to - until I listened to this particular one. There was actually one thing in particular that I used to love about listening to albums that came from here, as although the albums are all recorded live - the majority of the ones that were before this particular one (and bearing in mind that there are one or two that I actually haven’t listened to in the interim period, as my past reviews have borne testament to if you pardon the pun) have had an almost ‘studio like’ sound to them, and if you didn’t know that they were all actually recorded live then apart from the odd little slip up that no doubt you are going to get of course with any live album then you really wouldn’t be able to tell.

But with this particular album, it is almost as if something in my own humble opinion has gone wrong. It is as though they have forgotten how to ‘professionally produce’ a live album, and although I do realise that this is not everything with this particular type of album it is as though they are now in some ways starting to slip up a little.

And this is why I have only got a very small number of favourites from this particular album that I would say that I would really enjoy - namely, tracks five and fourteen as the way that they come across is just simply beautiful. Well, that is my opinion anyway.

However, I do so hope that this hasn’t put you off at least trying this album out in any way. Of course I do realise that this is not going to be quite everyone’s cup of tea, but if this is something that would appeal to you then I would therefore strongly urge you to buy it (or to download it from the Internet) - I bought my own particular copy for around the £12.99 mark, from my local Christian shop.

Thanks for reading!