NURSE_BET... 2

NURSE_BETTY

Member since:01.01.1970

MIGRAINE HELL

22.04.2004

Advantages:
NONE FOR ME .

Disadvantages:
HAS NO EFFECT

Side effects

Effectiveness

Price differs approx 5-7 pounds

3. Handbags_at_the_ready
  1. werewolf
  2. suki1964
  3. freaklikeme

From the age of three I have suffered from migraines, the effects of a migraine attack for me consists of nausea, sickness, blurred vision, pins and needles to my hands and the obvious my head felt that it was going to explode!!!
As I got older the attacks became more frequent and severe a visit to the doctor was in order. I was advised to keep a diary for a number of months thus determining what was causing the attacks (chocolate – what a bummer, coffee and stress). After doing this it was easy to avoid the chocs and coffee but the STRESS not as easy!!!

I as I have what I consider as a very stressful jobs, with the every changing shift patterns, Early’s, Late’s, night’s and sometimes 14 ½ days finishing late at 11pm and being back a 7am.
Having a migraine became a regular occurrence, which if anyone reading this has suffered from a migraine which is 100 times worse that a regular headache will know that having a migraine is debilitating, I personally am unable to function with one- moving causes increased sickness and pain.

It was for this reason that I started to take the antimigraine analgesics.

Migraleve

This medication is available either on prescription or over the counter at most chemists.
Migraleve provides two types of tablets pink and yellow, which are to be used in accordance with these instructions;

It is advised that you should take two of the pink tablet (which contains 6.25mg buclizine hydrochloride, 500mg paracetamol and 8mg codeine phosphate) should be taken at the onset of a migraine attack.
They then suggest that you should then take two yellow tablet (which consists of 500mg paracetamol and 8mg codeine phosphate) every four hours if necessary.

It states on the box that you should not take more than 2 pink tablets and 6 yellow tablets in 24 hours.

I have heard many people say that this medication has worked for them but it is expensive!!!
The pink tablets fair enough coz it contains an anti emetic (anti sickness) drug combined with the painkiller!! But the yellow tablets are just co-codamol 8/500, which you can pick up from most supermarkets for 60p
***RIP OFF***

I personal when trying this medication it did nothing at all for my migraines!!!! I took these as prescribed, even using the tip of taking the pink when I though a migraine was imminent. But still nothing still had the pain, dodgy vision, pins and needles and the sickness.

From personal use of these I would never take them again and friends who also suffer from severe migraines also have said that they do nothing for them!!! However people had have bad headaches ‘slight migraines’ this medication seems to work for them.

Following the use of all medications my GP could think of inc MigraMax, Paramax, Ergotamine Tartrate, Isometheptene Mucate, Naratriptan, Clonidine Hydrochloride I give up and now well if I have a migraine I need the prescription drugs of Metoclopramide (anti-emetic) and the pain killer of co-codamol which although does not get rid of the migraine it reduces the symptoms.

***If you do suffer from migraines and take over the counter meds, and they are recurrent you should really consult your Doc so that he/she can make sure the migraines are not caused by anything medical as appose to environmental factors****

mrsatchmo 20.11.2004 18:33

As an ex nurse I think you you write some very informative reviews.

solamarie 06.11.2004 16:07

That was brilliant, containg all the necessary information, shame they don't work for you, I can't take anything containg anti emetic though so will stick to plain old aspirin for headaches, I have only ever had migraine once and just took painkillers and went to bed until it ended, but I don't think it was a really bad one as I have known other peoples to be much worse than I experienced. Sue

Handbags_at_the_ready 03.11.2004 23:39

i've tried these b4 and they did nowt. found it better to go somewhere dark, be sick and then sleep it off! not the desired option but now i'm ok cos i got some pescription stuff that sorts them out pretty quickly! (if i take it soon enough...~ Clarex