Review of "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (DVD)"

published 12/08/2017 | NBCMad92
Member since : 23/11/2015
>:( when users rate your reviews low simply because theirs were not up to standard of "exceptional" or "very helpful". Bitterness is not attractive.
Pro Funny, Plaza Is Amazing, Good Writing, Easy Watch
Cons Cringe-worthy Moments
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Not A Movie To Watch With Daddy..."

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates On Sky

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates On Sky

Please note that I had to put "How does it compare to others by the same director?" as satisfactory because Ciao will not let me change it to "not applicable" as I believe the director has not directed any other movies.

Once again, scrolling through the movies on a Friday night to see what Daddy and I can watch, I saw that someone had already watched this. More than likely my brother before he went out with his mates. I had heard about this film and thought that it would have been funny to watch so sitting down with our KFC (cheat day) we gave it a watch.

Crew

Director - Jake Szymanski

Producers - Peter Chernin (The Heat & War for the Planet of the Apes), Jonathan Levine (Rush & The Night Before), David Ready (Red & Salt) & Jenno Topping (The Brady Bunch Movie & Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children)

Writers - Andrew J. Cohen (The House & Neighbors) & Brendan O'Brien (Neighbors & The House)

Music - Jeff Cardoni (Just Friends & Step Up: All In)

Cinematography - Matthew Clark

Editors - Lee Haxall (Crazy, Stupid, Love & Meet the Fockers) & Jonathan Schwartz

Cast

Zac Efron as David "Dave" Stangle (High School Musical & 17 Again)

Anna Kendrick as Alice (Pitch Perfect & 50/50)

Adam DeVine as Michael "Mike" Stangle (Pitch Perfect & The Intern

Aubrey Plaza as Tatiana (Dirty Grandpa & Funny People)

Stephen Root as Burt Stangle (Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story & King of the Hill)

Stephanie Faracy as Rosie Stangle (Hocus Pocus & Heaven Can't Wait)

Sugar Lyn Beard as Jeanie Stangle (50/50 & Sausage Party)

Sam Richardson as Eric (Veep & Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising)

Alice Wetterlund as Cousin Terry (The Interview & Silicon Valley)

Mary Holland as Becky (Blunt Talk & Shrink)

Kumail Nanjiani as Keanu (Goosebumps & Sex Tape)

Jake Johnson as Ronnie (The Mummy (2017) & Jurassic World)

Marc Maron as Randy (D2: The Mighty Ducks & Get A Job)

Wendy Williams as Herself

Branscombe Richmond as Kalani Chef (The Scorpion King & Batman Returns)

Chloe Bridges as Apartment Chloe (Legally Blondes & The Final Girls)

Lavell Crawford as Keith (Breaking Bad & Better Call Sault)

Don Pomes as Grandpa Strangle

Language - English

Country - US

Production Companies - Chernin Entertainment & TSG Entertainment

Distribution Companies - 20th Century Fox

Release Dates - June 2016 (LA) & July 2016 (US)

Running Time - 98 minutes

Budget - $33 million

Box Office - $77.1 million

Tagline - "They needed hot dates. They got hot messes"

Plot

Mike and Dave are complete disappointments to their family. Every family event they go to they always manage to destroy it. With their little sister's wedding fast approaching, their parents demand that they bring nice, respectable ladies as dates. When they struggle to find any female to that description, they put an ad online which goes viral and they are swarmed with ladies wanting a free trip to Hawaii.
Alice and Tatiana are just as bad as Mike and Dave, drop-outs, wasters and party girls. When they see the boys' advertisement, they quickly swoop in on the chance to pretend they're pleasant lovely girls the boys would approve of in order to get their free vacation. However, the girls might look innocent but they surely can't act like it and all havoc and mayhem breaks loose.

Story

I thought the story was quite good and strong enough to make a movie out of. The movie is actually based on true events; two brothers placed an ad on Craigslist to find dates for their cousin's wedding and it went viral in February 2013. I would say this is a totally unrealistic story line but I guess that shut me up.

I thought the story was really funny. You see Mike and Dave who are party boys against Alice and Tatiana who are worse than they are and seeing them coming together to try and sort them out is hilarious. I enjoy watching comedy movies of this genre, the slight slap-stick - silly humour. I always like to imagine if that is something my friends and I would do (some parts I promise you don't do) but the things that are said and the way the characters act I think I could relate to as some points and made me laugh even harder.

I'll admit there were a few things in the film that did make me cringe a little bit and some parts were uncomfortable to watch with my father. As much as I have put him through his fair share of horror movies in his lifetime, there is something about watching someone on scene getting "played with" that I particularly don't want to watch with my father.

Overall, there were good points and bad points to this story. Some parts made me laugh as it was something that I would imagine my friends and I doing and some things were too cringe-worthy to laugh at or a little uncomfortable to watch.

Acting

I thought the acting in this movie was good. I have seen Efron in Neighbors and thought he was quite funny to watch. DeVine I also think is funny to watch. They both have that sense of humour that I like and they worked really well together.

Kendrick I liked as the silly naive Alice and we worked well in contrast to Plaza's "don't care" attitude but I think the shining star of this movie was Plaza. I found her so funny, her facial expressions throughout the movie were amazing and everything she did made me laugh. She reminded me of one of my friends. She was so sharp and quick witted and playing the "bad girl" as oppose to Kendrick's "good girl" persona worked really well.

The other supporting cast were good as their characters. I don't think there was a performance that I didn't like. I particularly enjoyed Beard and Wetterlund's performances.

Overall, the acting in this movie was spot-on for the comedy but they were all overshadowed by Plaza. She was the star of this movie and I feel like it wouldn't have been as funny if she wasn't in it.

Special Effects

There isn't much to talk about in terms of special effects. I don't believe there was any in this movie. I guess a special effect would be when a character was hit by a car, that looked believable...

Overall, as I believe there wasn't any special effects used in the movie, I cannot really give a comment on it.

Music

The music I thought worked well with the movie. I cannot say that it is a memorable soundtrack but it is just your basic type of music that you would imagine in a film like this.

Overall, the music fitted with the genre of this movie.

Thoughts

Apart from the moments that were as awkward as a turtle watching with my father, I did find this movie funny. I have to give it to the writers because they are probably forgotten about. They did a really good job in finding quick witty lines and things that would make the audience laugh.

The star of this movie is Plaza and she really carries the movie to its climax. I felt she kept the pace of the movie fresh and I was always happy to see her on scene, wondering what she was going to do next.

I wouldn't say this film is something that I will forever remember and nor is it in my list of top #10 movies but it's a movie that is good to watch and if you are into the sort of humour that's like Neighbors or general Seth Rogen movies then this will make you laugh.

Cost & Where to Buy

I watched this on Sky Movies when it first premiered on there but you can purchase this DVD for £3.59 on Musicmagpie or £6.99 on Zavvi

Reviews

IMDB - 6/10

Rotten Tomatoes - 35%

The Guardian - 4/5

"Every so often in comedy, the filmmakers will get into a creative groove in which every scene is imaginative, almost unhinged and completely successful. This happens in Mike and Dave." - San Francisco Chronicle

"What can you say about a Hollywood comedy that features a "comedy" second-act rape sequence in a massage parlour?" - Times (UK)

"Like watching an interesting hot person waste time on his embarrassingly mediocre, unfunny friends." - Little White Lies

"Give the film this much: it's egalitarian in its imbecility." - Daily Telegraph (UK)

Thanks for reading my review,

• 16BitFlash published 22/08/2017
    Great read!
  • Saraa23 published 21/08/2017
    Yes...not one I would want to watch with my parents :)
  • 1st2thebar published 15/08/2017