Mikki Guillotine Nail Clipper for Cats and Dogs

Mikki Guillotine Nail Clipper for Cats and Dogs

Review of "Mikki Guillotine Nail Clipper for Cats and Dogs"

published 18/05/2011 | Absy_Baby
Member since : 30/06/2009
Pro Easy to use and safe.
Cons You could be responsible for hurting your dog.
Does it smell good?
How easily is it absorbed?

"Off with his... nails!"

I bought a dog and while I had done my research I wasn't entirely sure about dogs needing their toe nails clipped, but they do. My other half and I went to Pets At Home to have a look at nail clippers. The breeder had showed us the guillotine style clippers and told us these were easier.

In Pets At Home we found a guillotine styles nail clipper by Mikki, suitable for both dogs and cats. The clipper cost £4.99 and I thought this was reasonable considering how long a product like this should last. But we'll see if it stands the test of time, and my dog.

The guillotine nail clipper comes in a plastic and cardboard packet, which shows the product and has the directions and instructions on.

The packet is fairly flimsy and most of the clipper packets were broken but the product inside was fine. Instead of the packet being clued is was merely stapled together, which I understand in this day and age with costs etc but it does look cheap and like I said, all the packets were broken. It isn't the type of thing you could buy for someone.

The product itself is very sturdy and is literally 2 handles, it almost looks like a nut cracker but instead of the nut cracker at the end it has a small loop with a guillotine slice blade attached.

You would be able to fit your fingers in the hole but perhaps a small child could, so I would suggest keeping this item away from all children.

The opening / hole where the nail is placed to be guillotined off is a reasonable size for a dog claw and is not too tiny you'd struggle to place the nail in.

I must hold my hands up and admit I do not even attempt to cut my dogs nails, I don't like the thought of it, and knowing me I'd get the quick and hurt him.

My other half is in charge of the nail trimming and he tends to do it when the dog is asleep or chilling out, although if he is just chilling, he sticks his nose in the way.

You can place the nail as far in as you want then proceed to push the two handles together until the guillotine slides up and cuts the nail. We do a tiny bit at a time, and were told if you don't cut the nails the quick gets bigger within the nail.

Luckily we've had not quick snipping (touch wood) and hopefully won't, we do this a few times a week and literally take off a tiny bit. The dog is fine with it, although a nosey little mite.

The blade is quite sharp and I wouldn't recommend running your finger over it, but all in all, unless you can fit your fingers inside the hole, it is relatively safe.

The guillotine clipper leaves nails trimmed although possibly sharp which can be seriously annoying, but I would recommend this over paying at the vets for your dogs nails to be cut. I think this purely just for the price aspect although if you are less confident or your dog won't sit still, maybe the vets are the better choice. If you handle your dog all over from a puppy then he/she should get used to it. Since we've had our dog, we have constantly been all over him and he lets us do what we want to him.

The blade is black which can be a tad annoying if your dog has black nails but it is quite easy to see the difference between the nails and the guillotine.

This product is very easy to use and I would recommend it for trimming nails.

• JAVER1967 published 23/05/2011