Ministry of Sound, London

Ministry of Sound, London

Nightclub

Review of "Ministry of Sound, London"

published 23/01/2001 | yingli.lim
Member since : 01/12/2000
Good
Pro good for pple who have heard loads abt MOS and want to have a look
Cons non-party9ish atmosphere

"No Party Groove to it"

The Ministry of Sound is popular all around the world and internationally acclaimed but I was rather disappointed and rudely shocked at how un-exciting everything was when I finally arrived.

I had expected to be greeted by the lights and glitz of a luxury night club but its exterior made the Ministry of Sound look somewhat unfortunately like the Ministry of Garbage.

Located near Elephant and Castle I would not have even looked twice at it if I had been a casual visitor to that area. Come to think of it, I probably would not even venture there. The interior looked better than its exterior although I would not say that it was actually luxurious.

The music playing on both my visits to the Ministry was too R & B for me nd really did not manage to get a crowd going at all. There were loads of people just standing around. By my standards, goo music, especially in a disco should want to make people dance , should inspire body movement, but there was nothing of the sort.

There are 4 different rooms in total and the most exciting one happens to be that little room where MOS hires dancers as well, honestly, I think most of its patrons dance better and look better than their dancers and they should just save their money on regenerating its crappy exterior. It usually gets too packed and too hot in that room as well and you feel as though you're being gassed slowly with the smells of someone else's pespiration.

The floor that you see when you first enter is usually not very groovy at all. That was the floor with the most people standing around. In the small box, there was a huge population of queer men that night which impeded me from finding out more.

All in all, the Ministry failed to get a party groove going. Perhaps this is also due to the fact that it costs a bomb to actually have a drink and people can't really afford to get that many drinks. They should consider lowering their prices and making the main focus of the club its patrons instead of rolling in the cash.

• LostWitness published 23/01/2001
    MOS is one of those places where you either get a great night or a shite one.