Minolta Vectis S1 Compact Camera

Minolta Vectis S1 Compact Camera

Review of "Minolta Vectis S1 Compact Camera"

published 13/10/2007 | RamRay
Member since : 08/10/2007
Pro Small, simple, packed with many, many features, great optics from the better lenses
Cons Small film format, dated AF technology
Picture Quality
Range & Quality of Features
Ease of Use
Reliability

"A great little film SLR system"

I got this as prices have come down due to the advent of digtal slowly killing most film formats. I aquired 2 bodies, the 17, 50 macro, 22-80, 80-230 APO and the 400 Mirror. I have taken this on some trips and have left my 900 Maxxum kit home as it was kind of heavy to drag around. This was my experience:
-The S-1 is a modern spin on the Olympus Pen FT. Is is also a prrofinder (though much brighter) and the APS is a tad bigger than the 1/2 frame Olympus used, but is the same concept.

30 years makes a big difference and I have made some pretty good 8x10 enlargements using the S-1. While the autofocus take a bit long and can hunt, for the purposes of consumer use it is fine: if I need more I can go to my Maxxums. For occasional shootings and to have a nice lens range in a very light, small package, the S-1 is a nice option over 35 AF SLRs. Much of the AF technology (albiet a generation behind current) and 14 segment or spot metering found in my 9000 is also here, so it is familiar territory and works the best of any metering system I have ever used. The programming modes is again for ametures with limited serious user overrides, but I must say I have not lost a picture due to it. The lenses are optically excellent (note I picked the best of the sytem offerings, the consumers lenses are so-so) and in part were designed for digital use! the first Minolta RF digital cameras took the vectis lenses and the 17/3.5, a digiital lens made for thre RF, is an outstanding performer. Keep in mind many digital SLRs sensor uses the APS-C size...yes that is the same APS size area as the film.

I bought tons of Fuji 200 APS film cheap on *bay so I am well stocked. I will have fun with my vectis, taking it to family functions, wedings and trips and will get back really nice 4x5 prints until it stops working. This system is smaller and easier to use than the Nikon Pronea, which while has access to all Nikon AF lenses, are much bigger and heavier than the Vectis lenses with no appreciable improvement in image quality (in my experience, Minolta lenses are as good as Nikon and Canon lenses..blasphemy in Nikondium and Canonville, but true per most lens tests)

One day the electronics will stop working, but if the longevity of the electronics in my Minolta CLE, MD-11 and Maxxum 9000 are any indication (25-30 years and still working), it will outlast any production of APS film. A great P&S system for most uses.

• just.bcoz published 26/12/2007
    great review
  • COOOEEE published 14/10/2007
    Welcome to Ciao. if you feel you would like to add or expand on the details in the review at any time in the future you can do this by pressing the edit link in the centre at the top of your review as you read it. . Fionaxx
  • dancelikeabear published 13/10/2007