Mitchy Titch Baby Yoga

Mitchy Titch Baby Yoga

Review of "Mitchy Titch Baby Yoga"

published 20/06/2016 | linzee_loulabelle
Member since : 26/11/2004
Thank you so much for any E given on a review! I appreciate them so much! Wow... Gold finally! mehimthedogandababy.com
Pro So many health benefits, cost, class
Cons Nothing
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Baby Yoga"

I started going to classes like Baby Sensory when Erin was quite young but for some reason, I didn't know about Baby Yoga until Erin was just over 4 months old. I only happened to find out about it after seeing someone's comment about it on Facebook. I'm surprised my health visitor didn't mention it though as I kept on asking her about local baby activities.

I contacted our local class teacher Eva on Facebook and she was so helpful and answered quite a few questions that I had about the class. She explained that the first class is free as a taster to make sure it is suitable for you and your baby and if you refer other people and they book in you get a free class! This is a great incentive to get other parent friends to join in with their babies!

Our local class is held at the high school's sports centre which is a 5 minute walk away from where I live. The Banana Babies (from 8 weeks old) class runs on a Tuesday morning from 930 to 1030 so it's an hour long class. Classes are payable in either 6 or 10 week blocks costing either £30 or £50. Baby Yoga isn't quite as expensive as Baby Sensory and that's something that is obviously a good thing!

For each class the room is set up in a circle with some small toys in the middle, and pillows around the edge for each person and their baby. We're required to bring a blanket to put over the pillow the baby lays on just in case they are sick etc. It also adds a personal touch and a comforting smell and feel for the baby.

Something I love about this class is the way it starts. We start by going round in a circle and saying what we've been doing for the past week. I love getting to know a bit more about the other parents and how their children are doing. It's comforting when you're having a bad week and someone else is too, or when someone experiences something new and exciting! After this we sing a little song to get started and then do some activities!

The first thing we do is a warm up for the babies to make sure they are stretched a bit and ready to do some fun but tiring things. Eva makes sure that we work on different areas of the body each week so that all muscles get built up the same. Some weeks we work more on the stomach muscles while other weeks we work on the legs or the arms so the babies can push themselves up easily to get ready to roll over. The way in which this is done is through fun songs and rhymes like 'the wheels on the bus', which comes with actions with different parts of the body.

About half way through the class we have a bit of a break where we can talk to each other, let the babies play with some toys and have a drink.

After the break we then go back into activities which are a bit more exciting! Sometimes we do things like flying around the room or learning how to do certain yoga poses for babies like downward dog or the tree stance. I love this part of the class as Eva teaches both baby and adult poses. I'm useless at this kind of thing but I love trying and seeing what I can do. It's not much!

So the main reason why I wanted to take Erin to baby yoga was because she has reflux and a class like this has loads of benefits for babies with digestion problems, including general improvement of digestion and improved muscle tone which helps the stomach muscles.

After the first 2 weeks I could already see a difference in Erin. Her reflux had gotten better slowly but not gone completely. Other days are worse than some but her reflux is no where near as bad as it was before we started this class. Obviously the improvement isn't solely down to this class as she is now weaning as well but it certainly has helped. Erin and I also do some of the exercises and movements at home quite often and I think this has helped us to really see a benefit too.

Although our main reason for going to baby yoga was reflux there are so many more benefits for children which I have listed some of below:

Better and longer sleep patterns
Stimulates a restless baby
Boosts immune system
Reduces stress and develops relaxation techniques
Reduces anxiety
Increases body awareness
Aids motor development & co-ordination
Helps develop language and listening skills
Important for emotional, cognitive and social development
Contributes to brain development
Significantly improves verbal memory
Develops left-hemisphere abilities
Improves attention span

I really love our local group. Eva the teacher is super friendly and helpful. She'll even email us over routines and songs if we ask her to unlike Baby Sensory that charge for things like CDs and books containing the songs. The other mums and babies are all wonderful and made me feel welcome on my first class, even though I did go with another friend anyway.

We have been going to Baby Yoga for about 7 or 8 weeks now and Erin has come on a long way. At the first class she could barely stretch her legs back at all by now she can touch her nose and forehead with her feet. She is so bendy and flexible. Erin is not yet rolling but the yoga classes are really helping her to stretch out, strengthen her muscles and try to move on her own so we're getting there slowly.

One of the good things about Baby Yoga is that it runs all year round, unlike the other classes we go to. I'm so happy this is on over the whole summer so we have something fun to do!

*I don't have any pictures from this class as it's very hands on so I don't get the chance to take any of Erin doing the activities

• MsTricia published 22/06/2016