MobiBlu B153 2 GB

MobiBlu B153 2 GB

Review of "MobiBlu B153 2 GB"

published 30/07/2007 | Craigshadow12
Member since : 19/07/2007
Good
Pro Long lasting battery, Easy to set up with PC, Good instructions.
Cons Navigation system, Design, Price
Sound Quality
Ease of Use
Look & Design
Video Quality
Range of Features

"The Longest Lasting Battery MP3 Player!"

Introduction
==========

I would like to start this review by stating why I chose to buy this MP3 player over the many other options that were available to me. I bought this MP3 player around a year ago and it has been my main MP3 player since. Although at the time this product was fairly new on the market and I did not know a lot about it I decided to save up for a little while and buy it. I had owned 2 MP3 players before this one and found them both to be very satisfactory. The main reason that I bought this player was because of its long battery life. You can pump tunes out of this player for a maximum of 153 hours according to its box. This was the main reason I bought this product because I hated the fact that I seemed to be continually charging my other MP3 players. If you’re looking for an MP3 that will last you a very long time then this is the one for you. For a MP3 player that has a rechargeable battery the amount of playtime that you get is phenomenal. I am yet to see, even over a year on, an MP3 player with this amount of playback time.

The second reason I chose to buy this product was because of its range of features. With this player you can listen to FM radio, record sound, Produce sound effects and do an all manner of nifty things. To case all these special features there is a blocky yet stylish design. The design is nothing special but in my opinion this just means that it does not try to be something that it is not. This is simply your bog standard MP3 with a few extra features thrown in. This was perfect for me as I did not want anything to flash but still with everything I was looking for in an MP3 player.

The third reason I chose to buy this MP3 player was because I had heard great things about the MobiBlu brand from a friend and he assured me that their products were of the greatest quality. When I heard about the battery life of this model I was sure he was right. The same friend who recommended the brand also is very much into podcasting. He told me that with this player you can set it up so that you can automatically download podcasts to the MP3. I myself at this time was not to sure on podcasting but was a big fan of audio books. With this podcast you can bookmark where you are in an audio book and this again was a great reason for me to buy this product.

Overview
========

In a nutshell this is your basic MP3 player. You can play all your MP3s and audio books on the move as usual. In the box you will get a range of things to play with. The first is the manual. I found it very informative as it takes you through everything and anything about this player step by step. The next thing you will find is a neck lanyard. This enables you to hang the MP3 with the headphones connected around your neck. This is a great addition to the package as often you would have to pay a little extra for one of these. Then of next you will find what every Mp3 player needs - The headphones. They look like your bog standard headphones and really have nothing special about them to make them stand out visually. They do however produce a great sound that is in my opinion above average compared to other in ear headphones. Next you will find the plastic carry case so that you can protect the surface of the Mp3 from getting scratched. Finally you will find a software disk so that you can simply set up the MP3 for use with your home computer.

The mobiBLU B153is a 2GB flash-based player that is also available in its 512MB and 1GB versions. I chose the 2 GB version as I find that often audio books can start to take up lots of memory. This MP3 comes from the same people that brought the world those cute little cube MP3 players. My friend owns one of them and says that she couldn’t be happier with it quality. Instead of taking the novelty factor that made there other MP3 players so popular this time the company has gone for a player with more special features than style.

The reason that this MP3 is called the B153, if you have not figured it out yet, is because the company claim that the battery life is up to 153 hours. I found that I could get a maximum of around 140 hours of continuous play with just one charge. I feel that I could have gained the extra 13 hours however if I had chosen to turn the backlight on the players screen off. This MP3 player has not only the longest battery life I have seen but the longest battery life in any MP3 ever earning it the title of having ' The world's longest battery life'. This is a great selling point for the MP3 because as anyone who has owned an MP3 player in the past knows it can become very annoying when you start to lose your battery life.

The player’s design I have to admit is not the most imaginative design in the world. However if you are buying an MP3 player for the first time then this is a great one to start with. The buttons are set out for easy use and so that you will never be stumped at what button to press next. You can buy the B153 in either a high-gloss black or white finished style. Its shape is somewhat odd. The shape reminds me somewhat of an old radio player. However there is nothing original about its design really except its minimally odd shape. It measures 2.6 by 1.8 by 0.8 inches, and it weighs just 2.3 ounces. When this MP3 is in your pocket you will hardly notice it is there. The buttons are laid out so that the buttons you are most likely to use e.g. play are easily accessible. You may be forgiven for thinking when you first look at the player that there is a compartment to hold an AA battery. The bulge in the shape however simply houses the non-removable lithium rechargeable battery.

You charge the MP3 with the included USB lead. This lead plugs easily into the side of your MP3 and then directly into your PC via a USB port. The wire connects to your MP3 by placing it in a socket behind a small plastic flap. You are able to control the player via the main analog control that comes in the form of a four way analog stick. With this control you can easily cycle through all your music as well as take advantage of the players many options and features. You flick through your music in a file system so that you can store your music exactly where you want it. Beside the stick there are your play, pause, and power buttons. These buttons do all that you would expect them to do instantly. Next to these is a LDB button so that you can change the Mp3s screen from clock mode to now playing mode and even bring up lyrics to your songs if they are available. Next is the SRS button so that you can easily bookmark any files that your are currently playing. Along side these buttons there are all the other buttons that you have come to expect such as the A-B button and also the Voice record button.

The screen on the MP3 player looks great. It clearly displays all the information you need and you can even set it to different colours. All your song and artists appear clearly and in an easy to read format. Navigating your way with the screen couldn’t be simpler but when it comes to looking through your music things can get a little complicated. This problem comes if you have a lot of music in many different folders. If this is you then you will have to navigate and find your music on the MP3 before you can add them to a playlist. This became very frustrating for me as time went on especially as my amount of music upon the player grew.

Disadvantages
============

I found two major problems with this device. The first of which was the design. I did find the design to be a little too bulky for my liking upon reflection. Even though this MP3 is small I feel that its design gives it a dated feeling of largeness. The design to me looks more like a 90s CD player style rather than a 00s MP3 player. In terms of style I feel this player cannot compete with the many other MP3 players on the market and this for me was a major drawback.

The second problem I came across was the ability to search through you files. The first asset of this problem was the size of the screen. In contrast with the rest of the player the size of the screen is very small in comparison. Its designers had plenty of space left on the player to fit more of a screen so the mind boggles as to why they did not. The second and final asset of this problem comes from the way that you reach your music. The tree root system similar to windows means that you cannot organize your music simply just by artist unless you have a lot of time for configuration. This means that most of the time you will just shove your music anywhere.

Specification
===========

World's longest battery life MP3 player
Up to 153 hours of battery life on a single charge
2.0 GB built-in flash memory
OLED Display (2 area color, 4 lines)
Voice Recording / FM Radio Recording / MP3 Direct Encoding (music recording)
High-speed USB 2.0 data transmission
File Navigation and Unlimited Folder
Width 2.6 in Depth 0.8 in Height 1.8 in
PC interface(s) supported
Included accessories - Neck strap, Carrying case
1 Software type Drivers & Utilities Digital disc

Price
====

You can pick up this MP3 player now for as little as around £150. This player however has become quite hard to find online but I have seen it in many stores around my area so it is worth checking them out if your heart is really set on this player.

Final thoughts
============

The only thing that makes this player stand out from the crowd is its battery life. However this is not enough to counter for the rest of the players flaws. After all what is the point in having a product run for a long time if it is useless to run in the first place? MY advice to anyone looking to buy this product is stay away. There are many other MP3 options out there that are not only better quality but are cheaper as well.

Score