Moby Wrap Baby Carrier

Moby Wrap Baby Carrier

Review of "Moby Wrap Baby Carrier"

published 14/05/2010 | ariel5
Member since : 29/06/2007
Pro Great to use at home - can get chores done!
Cons May not be suitable to put on outdoors.
Safety
Ease of cleaning

"The Moby Wrap - become hands-free!"

The reasons I decided to buy the Moby Wrap are the following: my baby has colic, which means that she insists on being held upright (or she screams)! I needed support to hold her this way as my arms were getting very tired. The other reason is that I am studying at the moment and I really need my hands to be free to read books and to also carry out general household chores. I have tried the Bruin baby carrier but my baby did not like it at all. Not sure why but she used to cry a lot in it. Also the narrow straps were leaving me with pain in my shoulders. I thought that I need to try a different form of baby carrier and after reading about several slings and carriers I came across the Moby Wrap, which seemed to be a good alternative to the usual baby carriers and it was affordable for me.

The Moby Wrap is simply a soft, stretchy but sturdy piece of long fabric that will fit all people. There are no buckles, rings or anything else involved. The main idea is to wrap this piece of fabric around the person who wants to hold the baby and, of course, the baby. It looks quite complicated to do at first. However, I found the instruction book (in colour) easy to follow. To be on the safe side I also checked how to wear the wrap on the Moby Wrap website and on you tube. I then practiced with a teddy bear before finally trying it out with my baby. With a couple of attempts I now feel quite confident about using it and my daughter seems to like it too.

There are several ways to hold a baby using the wrap so hopefully there will be a few positions that will be suitable for the baby and the person holding them. I usually hold my daughter in the upright hug position due to her colic (and reflux). The wrap uses the holder’s whole back, making it quite comfy than the more conventional sling that I had tried. Apparently it is suitable to carry newborn twins too! Once I tie the wrap around me I usually keep it on and simply slip her in and out of it when needed. I don’t have to retie it although sometimes it does become slightly looser when I pop her back in again. Apparently it is also possible to breast feed with the wrap on – I haven’t tried this myself yet but I probably will soon.

The slight negative points about the wrap are the following: a young baby who cannot support their own head can have their head tucked under one of the sides (shown in the instruction diagrams) but this can obstruct their outside view of the outside world and my daughter only allows me to do this when she is tired and falling asleep. In the meantime I use one hand to support her head. The fabric is very long and it is not suitable to just put it on when you are already out and about. I usually tie it on around me before I leave home. My last concern is how the wrap will perform in summer. As the wrap holds the baby very close to the holder and covers up the baby I am not sure whether this will lead to over-heating or just discomfort for both me and my baby.

Overall I am really glad that I bought this wrap. I am able to get more things done around the home and continue with my studies. My daughter likes it so far. And apparently it can be used until my baby reaches 30lbs. It is a life-saver when she gets stomach pains and will not settle in her cot or pram. I would highly recommend this wrap for people with young babies as long as the safety points are noted carefully.

• MEL0611 published 14/05/2010
    Well written x

offers "Moby Wrap Baby Carrier"