Review of "Molton Brown Heavenly Gingerlily"

published 13/08/2010 | pink_champagne
Member since : 08/06/2003
Why don't photos seem to show up on my reviews any more?
Good
Pro leaves skin soft, lathers well
Cons price is insane
Does it smell good?

"Lily overload"

Still making my way through a stack of Molton Brown shower gels I was given last year, I now move on to the heavenly gingerlily fragrance. I first heard of this fragrance several years ago when they used to sell Molton Brown products on QVC and was always intrigued by the name -especially the gingerlily part. Having never heard of gingerlily before, I expected it to smell like ginger, but in fact a gingerlily is a flower, so it's the lily part of the name that's significant rather than the ginger part. As far as I'm aware it contains no ginger!

The product is packaged in the elegant Molton Brown design of a clear bottle with silver embossed lid. It's a very simple, yet classic looking design which has been copied quite a lot, so I think that goes to show how popular it is.

The back of the bottle tells me that this is filled with richly moisturising oils, which sounded good to me since I have very dry skin and try everything I can to keep it hydrated, otherwise it goes scaly and fish like! It also tells me that it will leave my skin luxuriously smooth.

The gel itself is a rich orangey brown colour which does remind me of ginger yet again. The scent of the product is however very floral. I'm not normally good at differentiating between flower smells but I would definitely say this reminds me of lily and reminds me somewhat of a limited edition soap that Lush brought out called Lily Savon- only this shower gel smells much more intense. Whilst I do think it's a nice fragrance I find the floral a bit too strong for my tastes and I think I would prefer a more toned down version.

When it came to using the product, I found that it was quite a thick consistency and came out of the bottle very slowly. Although the thickness of the product goes some way to indicating its quality, it can also be a bit of a pain in the neck to dispense - especially when you're getting towards the end of the bottle.

The gel lathers up quite well on it's own and gives a fairly thick, creamy feeling lather. I do tend to use it with a shower puff though, as that way it creates more lather with less gel, making a bottle go further.

When using this, the smell really comes out and it smells even stronger than when it's in the bottle. I suppose that would be great if you were a fan of the scent but for people like me who find it a bit heady it's not ideal.

I have found that after washing with this it does leave my skin really soft, so it feels quite nice to the touch. I really appreciate that as it's not something you tend to find with cheaper shower gels. I wouldn't say it is hydrating but it doesn't dry out my already dry skin, nor does it irritate my eczema.

Molton Brown is a premium brand and this product comes with a premium price tag. A 300ml bottle will set you back £17 in John Lewis, which I feel is extortionate for a shower gel.

Although I liked how this made my skin feel, I thought the fragrance was too strong and the price tag too high for me to want to use this again. Another Molton Brown shower gel which I unfortunately have to report is 'Just OK'.

*Also posted on Dooyoo

• paulpry118 published 14/08/2010
    They are so expensive and after trying some Molton Brown prodcuts recently they are certainly not worth the money
  • KarenUK published 13/08/2010