Review of "Molton Brown Heavenly Gingerlily"

published 30/03/2012 | nikkired
Member since : 10/02/2012
Pro Smells amazing, feels luxurious to use, softens and moisturises skin
Cons Only the price
Does it smell good?

"Named after one of Bob Geldof's girls?!"

I wouldn't normally stretch so far as to buy Molton Brown products for myself but luckily it has become something that people often buy me as gifts instead. In preparation for our summer holidays I was bought a small Molton Brown gift set with several sample sized products in it for Christmas. Not only are the samples ideal sizes for travelling but they also come in a handy transparent plastic bag which is great for carrying toiletries on the plane in and adhering to the strict rules now in force.

One item in the bag was a 100ml bottle of the Heavenly Gingerlily Moisture Bath and Shower gel. Whilst the other products in the set are ideal for taking away with you I realised that this one wouldn't be big enough to last for the nearly 3 weeks that we'll be away for so I decided to treat myself and use it now instead as a little pick me up when my husband was away (it's way too good for him to use every day, let him stick to the Sanex!!).

The gel comes in the traditional Molton Brown packagin of a clear plastic bottle with a silver lid bearing the usual logos and information. One thing I always like about MB items is that the packaging always looks appealing, classic yet contemporary, and it is always of good quality, feeling sturdy and substantial. There is a little quote on the bottle "bathe the senses with exotic gingerlily, richly moisturising oils leave the skin refreshed, luxuriously smooth and infused with an intoxicating aroma". This was enough to get me quite excited about using it and certainly raised my expectations as to what results I would get from using it.

The screw top lid comes off easily (although personally I always prefer flip top lids on things like this as they are much easier to use in the shower) and when I first unscrewed it and took my first tentative sniff I was quite surprised that I wasn't blasted with a strong ginger fragrance! It's probably just me but I was expecting it to be very gingery given both the name of it and the fact that it is quite a deep orangey coloured gel. But, obviously, it's gingerlily, not ginger and lily, duh! Anyway, whatever it is, it's absolutely gorgeous! I honestly have never smelt another shower gel like it. I tend to prefer the fresher scents rather than foody/floral/fruity ones and this, although it does have a slight floral undertone, is most definitely a very refreshing fragrance. It's difficult to describe but it brings to mind shampoo we used in childhood kind of fragrance. Think Vosene, Timotei etc but with a blend of melon thrown in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of melon-fragrance, but this is just a slight background hint. I haven't really described the fragrance very well, but believe me, iit's beautiful!

Not wanting to waste any of the gel I poured a small amount onto my shower puff and gave it a bit of a rub with my hand only for it to foam up fantastically! I was honestly surprised by how much of a lather it gave and one small pouring of it (about a 50p piece size) was more than enough to wash my whole body 9all five feet ten of it!). Rather than being a big loose bubble kind of lather it was a nice smooth creamy one which felt great to massage into my skin, making me think that it would provide good moisturisation. Whilst it was easy to apply and felt great on my skin it still washed off easily and didn't leave any greasy or sticky residue which I've found some of the richer shower gels can sometimes do.

After getting out of the shower and drying myself my skin really did feel better. I don't normally expect much from shower gels in regards to softening and moisturising my skin, usually relying on body lotion for that. But I was surprised to find that my skin did feel softer, smoother and I didn't feel like I even needed to apply any lotion afterwards. The gorgeous scent also lasted a good long while on my skin and when I gave my arm a sneaky sniff a few hours later I could still smell it slightlyAnother benefit, although a superficial one, was that it left my bathroom smelling fantastic! This is one product that definitely lives up to the claims it makes on the bottle.

This shower gel is available from the MB website at a whopping £18 for a 300ml bottle, which by my reckoning would make my small sample size around £6. That, to me at least, is a lot of money to spend on a shower gel. Because I only need to use a small amount I can see this small bottle lasting for much longer than I initally expected (especially since I'm keeping it well out of hubby's reach - he's use the whole thing in two showers!) and I would guess I'll probably get about 3 or 4 weeks worth of showers out of it. But given that you can buy a standard Dove/Radox/Imperial Leather shower gel for around a pound and they would last just as long it still works out very expensive. Having said that, I may well be tempted to treat my bathroom to a large version for when guests are staying!

All in all this is a very luxurious shower gel and it feels like a real treat to use. It lathers well, has a great affect on my skin and smells absolutely divine. But for me the price is a big turn-off and whilst I may be tempted to buy this again as either a treat or as a gift for someone else, it's way too expensive to use on a day to day basis and my little sample has been put away again for the next time hubby's away!

A 5 star product with one small star knocked off for price.

• dreamer87 published 30/03/2012