Review of "Monopoly"

published 05/05/2012 | randy_edith
Member since : 25/09/2011
Well I didn't dig the hole deep enough and now something's dug poor Gertie back up, I think it's a fox, it's very upsetting to see
Pro It is a good game which has lasted well
Cons Not too good if you get too competitive
Playability & Enjoyment
Design & Presentation

"This is a good family game but it starts some fights I find"

My game of Monopoly o my eiderdown with Pud, my cat

My game of Monopoly o my eiderdown with Pud, my cat

I have had my game of Monopoly now for many years and I bought it while my husband was still alive. We would spend many a tense and edgy evening having a nice glass of cocoa or even sherry and having a game of this if there was nothing on the television set and we would keep at it until the early hours sometimes. He was very competitive and I am too, and so this is where the arguments would start. He could be very verbal so it was better just to shut up. I would also play with the children and then my granddaughter came along and I would play with her too. It was me who showed her how to play the game. It might be seen as being quite old fashioned now but I think it has stood the test of time and it is still a game for all the family to enjoy and it isn’t hard or complicated to learn, but as I say, tempers can flare as I have found over this game.

There is the Monopoly board and you have to choose what you want to be from a hat, a dog, etc and other characters and often with my late husband he would argue before the game had even begun because whatever I wanted to be, he thought he should be too. There are two dice and each player throws the dice and then moves around the board and the point is to buy up as many properties as you can and then build your houses and hotels on them.

You can end up in jail but there is a get out of jail free card and No Parking places and you have to spend your money wisely. The winner is the person who manages to make the other players lose their money and who comes out with the most money and properties. Sometimes I’d have to let my silly husband win for a quiet life but it was easier than sleeping in the other room and not talking for the next day or two.

The games is made by Hasbro, I think and the box is red and white but mine is quite old and battered now. I keep it in my spare room and I do take it out now and again when I like to play with my friends from the Church or with my granddaughter. It costs about £20 and there are a lot of different versions but I have the original one, which I think is the best.

This is a lovely game for all the family and I recommend it to you.

• SpiderJamb published 18/05/2012
    I love this game, but i don't think i've ever finished one!
  • daveboxer published 05/05/2012
    My mother becomes somewhat violent when playing this wonderful game
  • pgn0 published 05/05/2012
    A good way to monopolise an afternoon in our house...