Montagne Jeunesse Hot Chocolate Self Heating Face Mask

Montagne Jeunesse Hot Chocolate Self Heating Face Mask

Review of "Montagne Jeunesse Hot Chocolate Self Heating Face Mask"

published 07/04/2012 | carysb
Member since : 20/03/2007
Satisfactory
Pro Cheap, Smells Lovely, Easily Available
Cons Sticky, Messy, No Effect

"Sticky Chocolate Messy Masque"

Chocolate Orange Face Masques

Chocolate Orange Face Masques

I have used several of the Montagne Jeunesse range over the years, and it only ever seems to expand, offering more and more choice every time. Asda currently stock at least 10 varieties of their face masques, ranging between peel off masques, scrub masques and wash off masques. I purchased two of the Hot Chocolate version because I was tempted by the chocolate orange depicted on the packaging.

All Montagne Jeunesse masques have picture of a woman wearing that specific masque, across the majority of the packaging (male masques have a man wearing a masque). The flavour is identified by pictures of the fruits or foody products that they smell of. In this case the woman has a chocolate version on with orange segments on her eyes. The reverse of the sachet has four illustrations showing how to use it.

The products are French and as a result the majority of the writing is in French with an English translation, rather than the other way around. This variety is (according to the packaging) new. Each product is individually packaged in single sachets and to start with there doesn’t appear to be an awful lot in the sachet.

How do you use it?

I pour the masque into the palm of my hand and use two fingers to smooth it across my face, avoiding the eyes and lips. Once you have an even coverage you will find you have an amount left over, I washed this away as it was not needed. Unfortunately, the product was quite sticky on my hands and face but very liquid like when applying. This meant that I had to work harder for even coverage, but found that it dripped from my fingers when applying and I had to be extra careful not to get it on my clothes (I failed miserably).

This variety is a self-heating masque which means that once it is on your face it warms as it does its thing. It is self-titled a ‘pore cleansing sauna masque’. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes before washing off and patting your face dry.

The heating element of the masque opens the pores allowing for the clay masque to do its thing and remove the oil/dirt from them.

How does it feel?

Once applied, the product starting heating up very quickly, however this sensation didn’t last that long. It didn’t feel like the sort of sauna effect I was expecting but it wasn’t unpleasant at all. I could feel it working on my pores and the blemishes that I had, started to tingle, again, this didn’t last that long.

From the minute the sachet was opened the chocolate orange fragrance was strong and it smelt gorgeous. The scent was carried for the whole time I had the masque on. It also carried around the house and was noticeable by an untimely visitor who happened to knock as I was all masked up.

Some face treatments can be tingly on the skin and uncomfortable, this felt very gentle and not uncomfortable at all.

How to wash it off?

I would thoroughly recommend showering to wash this off. I used the basin in the bathroom and made a complete mess of the place. The muddy looking water splashed and left brown splash marks around the sink which meant I then need to clean it. I also had to wipe the residue from around the hairline off with a face-wipe as water just wouldn’t reach it. What had accidently transferred to my long hair around my face was a nightmare to remove as it was sticky causing knots.

I would recommend showering to remove this masque as the running water will make it easier to wash away.

Does it work?

I bought two of these, one for me and one for my boyfriend who was very sporting. He applied my face masque and vice versa. I left mine on for the recommended time, before washing it off but he kept his on for nearly an hour before showering it off.

For me, my face feels no different. I had dry patches on my cheeks which are still there after removing the masque and my face doesn’t feel tighter nor does it feel particularly moisturised. My pores look the same and my face doesn’t visibly look like I have done anything to it.

The boyfriend has said that his face feels very refreshed and cleansed, making his lips feel noticeably dry in comparison. The difference between the two outcomes is quite extreme. He too had a small patch of dry skin before application; however after washing off the masque his dry skin is gone.

Perhaps I should have left mine on for longer, or perhaps it is best suited to male skin.

These retail at £1.09 in ASDA but are currently on offer at 95p which is a very good price. I wouldn’t buy this variety again and would probably revert back to a peel off masque next time.

• ithoughtyoudneverask published 19/04/2012
    I'd be tempted to eat it!
  • Alyson29 published 11/04/2012
    I don't think I've tried this one x
  • catsholiday published 07/04/2012
    I found this very messy and tricky to get off as I just was washing my face!