More Brain Training: Dr Kawashima's How Old Is Your Brain (Nintendo DS)

More Brain Training: Dr Kawashima's How Old Is Your Brain (Nintendo DS)

Review of "More Brain Training: Dr Kawashima's How Old Is Your Brain (Nintendo DS)"

published 17/10/2010 | katykicker
Member since : 11/12/2005
Back writing & RATING! If you would like to be added to my COT please do let me know :) No need to thank me for E's unless you fancy a chat :)
Pro Fantastic game, lots of different games, easy to grasp.
Cons None.
Gameplay/Playability
Graphics
Sound
Difficulty & Complexity

"I give my brain more training!"

I have recently received a free DSi (thanks Cokezone!) and I have been busy using my Lovefilm membership to try out lots of games for it. However, this game is one that I purchased from Amazon for just £7.99 as it seemed like a game that I would use everyday and I price that I couldn't turn down.

The game is very simple to load, just pop the small cartirdge in to your DS and turn it on. The cartridge comes provided in a standard DS game cassette which I always think are a little bulkier than they need to be but they do come with a little booklet usually detailing how to play the game and things like that.

When the game initially loads up you will be invited to give a few personal details about yourself, your name, date of birth etc. These details are used to create a profile for you which you can then select each time you come on the game to build a fairly accurate profile of how well you are progressing in the different game types.

The menu shows a few options and I will explain a little more about each of them.

Quickplay: Here you can do a 'quick' brain age check, training session or play a quick game of sudoku. These games are perfect if you want to let someone else play on your DSi and don't want to waste lots of time setting things up or explaining the gameplay for them. The quick game modes will give a brief explanation on how to play things before allowing you to start the game straight away. I think this mode is more for when other people play on my DSi as I haven't actually ever used it myself because I find it almost as fast just to play on my profile and select the games that I want to play.

Daily Training: This is the section of the game that I use the most. Once going through the Daily Training screen I can select my profile or create a new profile if I want to set someone else up to play regularly. When I first load up my profile the little Dr character will talk to me, about how my battery is low, what a lovely day it is (usually when it's not) and other little random things like that. If I haven't visited the game for a few days then he usually has a comment to make on that as well. In this screen I can perform a brain age check where I do a small series of games to see how well I can perform at certain things and then a brain age is calculated. I can also do some daily training where I will receive a stamp on my calender for each day that I play and complete one game in the training mode. I can also view the graphs to see how well I am performing on a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis. This is the most useful section for me.

Sudoku: On this section I can go to different difficulty levels and play games of Sudoku depending on the challenge that I want to set myself. Obviously the style of the game is the same but it's just harder levels and they take longer to complete because even more brain power is needed! In this section, if I visit it first each day, the Dr will have a little chat about how long it's been since I last played and things like that.

Download: In this section you can send a demo and play the multiplayer training. I am not exactly sure what this is because I have yet to connect my DSi to my Wi-Fi connection and therefore I haven't used this section.

Overall I would say that the longevity of this game is long as I find myself wanting to spend 10 or 15 minutes every day playing all my training games and then taking part in a brain age check. The brain age check can vary quite wildly when I don't feel like I've done much worse so I do think it's all a little bit of nonsense really but it's fun at the same time.

I love nothing more than logging in every day to earn my stamp and works towards unlocking a new training game. So far I have 6 or 7 games and these, coupled with the brain age check, are enough to keep my attention for 10 or 15 minutes which is just enough time not to eat in to my busy evenings and to give me a nice break from whatever I have been doing all night.

There is a choice of different games including ones where you use maths skills and ones where you listen, look or remember certain things. I feel like my brain does get a real work out when I play this game and I'm pleased with the quality of the games.

This game is quite fun as well as being educational and I have definitely improved in terms of my brain age while playing this game. I will continue to play it and I've been just as happy with this game as any of the others in the series and I'd certainly try any new ones that come out based on the quality of this one.

Summary: Fantastic 'brain training' game.

• angelboouk123 published 20/10/2010
    excellent review !x
  • paulpry118 published 18/10/2010
    I'm tempted to get this for my Dad for Xmas, he seems to be losing his brain since he has retired
  • MrBrightside1987 published 17/10/2010
    Very well reviewed :)

Product Information : More Brain Training: Dr Kawashima's How Old Is Your Brain (Nintendo DS)

More Brain Training: Dr. Kawashima's How Old Is Your Brain? features fun new training exercises including Correct Change which challenges you on an everyday day task- to work out the right amount of money to hand back after a transaction as quickly as possible Missing Symbols a twist on the classic "20 calculations" test and Masterpiece Recital which invites you to follow a music sheet shown on one screen and touch the corresponding piano keys on the touch screen. As your daily training continues additional new exercises are unlocked. The DS Brain Age Checks take on a new form in this title as you're tested on three randomly selected exercises including old school classic Rock Paper Scissors which asks you to name the position to either win or lose against the object shown Memorising 5x5 which sees you remembering the position of numbers on screen and Speedy Symbols which challenges your memory of symbols associated with specific numbers. With More Brain Training you can also play with your family and friends. Using a single game card two to sixteen players can participate in four different exercises together. Three to sixteen players can also compete in a picture quiz to test each others artistic skills where players score the other drawings to find a winner.

Publisher: Nintendo