pottmar 5

pottmar

Member since:01.04.2001

Loads of Crumpet

19.04.2001 (15.04.2001)

Advantages:
Thick Slices, Hi Lift, Frozen Bread Option, 2 Year Guarantee

Disadvantages:
Short Power Cable .

Performance

3 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. polarbear
  2. Modena
  3. colinlivingstone

I recently blew up our toaster, this was not a good move due to the popularity of toasted bread products in our family, and so I was dispatched to the local Argos store to pick up a replacement.

I had a number of gripes with our old toaster anyway, never before having worried about such things I had previously got the cheapest toaster money could buy, well it was only going to be used for making toast and all toasters are the same aren’t they. Well it would appear they are not, the old toaster was supposed to do 4 slices, but if you use the square bread we could only do 2 slices and I was often poking plastic things into the toaster to reclaim my lost crumpets.

I had a number of criteria that had to be met on my quest for a new toaster; it had to be able to do 4 slices so my large family could be fed quickly. It had to be able to take thick slices of toast and other bread products. It had to have a high lift option so I could stop poking things into it and it couldn’t cost a fortune.

So off I went with the Argos book in one hand any my list in the other, after reading through the details on all the available toasters and looking at the pictures I decided to get the Morphy Richards Europa toaster.

This toaster has 4 individual toast slots so you can do some pretty big slices and they are very thick as well, it also has the high lift mechanism where you can lift the handle and it lifts the toasted items higher so you can get them out safely. The toaster has a dial on the front so you can select the toasting level, it also has 3 buttons, the top button is the cancel button so you can stop the toaster at any time, the middle button is the ‘frozen’ button so you can adjust the toaster to cook frozen bread by pressing this button without disturbing your normal toasting level, the last button selects between 2 slices and 4 slices so you can choose to only toast in the front 2 slots if you want. It also has a removable crumb tray so you can keep it nice and clean.

The toaster is available in White or Graphite so you should be able match your kitchen. We also managed to get a 2 years manufacturers guarantee as a special offer, so it should last me at least 2 years (More than I can say for my old one), it also came with a wire rack that you can fit over the top of the toaster and use it to warm croissants etc, brilliant idea. The only draw back I found with this toaster was the size of it, it is quite a bit larger than our old toaster and the cable is probably about 3 feet long so it caused some slight reorganising in the kitchen to find some space close enough to a power socket.

I have used this product quite a bit since purchase, I have had no problems with my thick slices of bread, my hot cross buns, my frozen potato cakes or my crumpets, so I should imagine it will be good for just about anything. In fact since I got this toaster I have not had to put anything under the grill at all.

I know buying a toaster is not exactly a large part of ones life, but this one does appear to be perfect for us, it cost £29.75 so it is certainly not the cheapest, but the 2 year guarantee and the fact a toaster is more efficient that the grill and I have not had to use the grill since I got it should save us a bit of money over the next couple of years.

« Previous review

RobinLawrie 19.04.2001 19:22

Believe this or not, my wife has just walked past and told me to find an op. on a toaster LOL, Easy Peasy Now off to Argos Thanks.....Robin

weebagpuss 19.04.2001 19:22

excellent and v comprehensive op - told me pretty much everything I would need to know if buying a new toaster. Claire