Morrison's Value Jaffa Cakes

Review of "Morrison's Value Jaffa Cakes"

published 22/02/2011 | Borg
Member since : 16/08/2001
Pro Cheap as chips...
Cons None
Style
Clarity of message & brand identity
Quality of Concept
Soundtrack
Special Effects

"Morrison's Jaffas, eaten in a Jiffi..."

Morrison's Value Jaffa Cakes

The Morrison’s Value Range is similar to Tesco’s version in the fact that it offers customers great prices for their own versions of items that can cost up to three times more. They do this by using basic packaging and perhaps less expensive ingredients. This is not to say that the quality is any less, though.

Once upon a time, I used to hate Morrisons and went to Tesco instead, but over the last five years my views have changed immensely. I do feel that you get a much better deal at Morrison’s for a whole number of reasons.

When my two kids stay over they both like a sweet (usually a biscuit, cake or some ice cream) after a meal and supper! This can prove quite costly, so I am forever looking at ways to buy such items cheaper. Home Bargains is a great place to go for such deals, but I have recently been looking at Morrison’s Value biscuits. The dark chocolate digestives were the first selection and they were just great, and next up were Morrison’s Value Fruit Shorties, equally popular in the Borg household.

When I spied Value Jaffa Cakes a month or so ago at an amazing 38p I put them in my trolley without delay!

They come in the usual plain yellow wrapping. With ‘Morrisons Value 12 Jaffa Cakes’ written in green. Everything else is written in green too, so no costs wasted on fancy lettering there! The packaging is recyclable and the cakes/biscuits contain egg, gluten, soya and traces of nuts (possibly).

There is 22% plain chocolate and concentrated orange juice, wheat flour and sugar as main ingredients.

But what of the taste? That is the most important question of all, isn’t it?

In a word: Great.

Both Borgeth and Borgette agree that these are not much different to original Jaffa Cakes. Your teeth crunches gently into the chocolate, orange and cake/biscuit and an explosion of flavour fills the mouth. Dark chocolate, orange, and sweet-tasting cake. The flavour quickly fills your mouth and your eager taste buds and wakened to a jaffa frenzy.

The second bite is good, too, possibly because you know what you are expecting. Is it a cake or is it a biscuit? The debate will go on and on. I have always thought Jaffa cakes to be too thin to be a cake, but too soft to be biscuit. Whatever, Jaffa Cakes are just great. This versions of them is fantastic, in the fact that they are much easier on your pocket.

I really cannot find fault with these jaffas! I would say they are different to the original, but not by much. The original are better… but for the price, these are well worth it. The actual orange flavour is slightly (and I mean slightly) less better than the original, but that is my only qualm. The chocolate is nice and the cake/biscuit is just the same. These versions are a little bit harder too, or should I say ‘snappier.’

Overall: 9/10

• anonymili published 13/04/2011
    I'm such a glutton that I don't care if Jaffa Cakes are from Tesco's, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, etc, I just love 'em!
  • tallulahbang published 07/04/2011
    Sainsbury's value ones are pretty good, too. xx
  • Alyson29 published 19/03/2011
    I agree with you that these are good and I want one now! x

Product Information : Morrison's Value Jaffa Cakes