Morrisons Eat Smart Lemon Cake

Morrisons Eat Smart Lemon Cake

Lemon Cake

Review of "Morrisons Eat Smart Lemon Cake"

published 25/01/2010 | CelticSoulSister
Member since : 25/10/2009
Pro Moist, tasty, full of natural lemon flavour, no different tasting to high fat varieties, cheap
Cons None for me but some people may find them too sweet
Smell
Product Quality

"Lovely low fat cakes : Morrisons "Eat Smart" Lemon cakes"

PRICE: 98p for 6

(of which saturates): 0.1g
Fibre: 0.2g
Sodium & salt equivalent: Trace

INGREDIENTS:

Sugar, wheat flour, egg, water, glucose syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, vegetable glycerine, vegetable oil, citrus fibre, maize starch, natural flavouring, salt, tapioca starch, lutein

ALLERGY/DIETARY INFORMATION:

Contains egg and gluten
Produced in a factory which uses milk, nuts and soya ingredients

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m sure that most of us would gravitate towards buying low-fat products and stick with them, were they to taste almost or as good as something far less healthy. Some low-fat products aren’t too bad, but I find they never quite satisfy my need for whatever it is I’m eating, so I, perhaps unfortunately tend to stick to the more evil versions.

I recently noticed Morrisons Lemon Cake Slices which fall within their “Eat Smart” range of supposedly healthier foods, and of course I had to try them, being a lover of most things lemony.

These little slice style cakes come in a rather nice blue-coloured box which bears an image on the front of a few of the cakes, Morrisons’ standard trading logo and a claim that the product contains less than 3% fat. The rear of the box shows nutritional information, ingredients list, dietary/allergy information, storage instructions, Morrisons’ contact details, package recycling information and a note apparently taken from Weight Watchers’ literature that each cake has a diet plan value of one point.

Each cake is about 3” long and about 1” deep, nestling inside a clear, stiff plastic tray which is inside a clear cellophane sealed wrapper. The cake is a custard yellow in colour, with a thin topping of white icing on each.

The cakes lift nicely out of the plastic tray without breaking or shooting crumbs everywhere, and despite the bottoms being sticky with a lemon curd type substance, the bases don’t adhere to the tray.

As I moved the first of the cakes towards my mouth, I noticed a beautiful lemon smell which wasn’t at all synthetic – it smelled just like real lemon oil, and for all I know, it might be. Taking a bite, I found the sponge to be very light and fluffy, yet simultaneously moist, with a distinct and authentic lemon flavour. The white icing on top is quite thin and I found it didn’t overpower the cake and the lemon – nor was it in itself too sickly, despite the overall sweetness being quite pronounced.

I enjoyed the first cake so much that I couldn’t stop at one, so helped myself to another, then another – and before I knew it, over the space of about an hour, I’d eaten the whole box!

There is nothing at all in these cakes, flavour-wise, which is any different to a full-fat brand and at just 0.6g of fat in each, the guilt levels at having more than one at a time are relatively low, although if you’re like me and have to polish off the whole pack in one go, it somewhat defeats the object of them being a healthier option – but, on the other hand, it’s less evil than eating the whole pack of a standard, high fat brand.

Morrisons Lemon Cake Slices contain something like less than half the fat and calories of the high fat/high calorie version of something similar, and they truly are delicious. I honestly didn’t feel as though I was eating a low calorie/low fat product in the slightest. I’d even go as far as to say these cakes are quite a lot nicer than most other brands of boxed cakes I’ve tasted, whether high or low fat.

I certainly shall be buying these cakes again, as I feel they are very good value for money and of very high quality, as well as being respectfully low in fat and calories. The only minor warning I’d hand out is that some people may find them a little too sweet – but I can assure that they are otherwise light, fluffy, lemony, moist and delicious, with a perfect ratio blend of all the ingredients.

Thanks for reading!

~~ This review may also be published on DooYoo under my GentleGenius user name ~~

• danielclark691 published 17/11/2016
    well covered
  • carysb published 06/02/2010
    I'm not a lemon cake fan, but good review. C
  • ScotShelle published 31/01/2010