Review of "Morrisons Triple Blade Razor"

published 10/01/2002 | kleft
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Sharp and effective, cheaper than competitors
Cons See op

"LOVE IS IN THE AIR.......ENCORE"

Not another op about shaving products? Dear oh dear, I'm slowly sloping down the road of repetitiveness. If you remember many moons ago in my op about Gillette Mach 3, I extolled the virtues of my passionate affair with the aforementioned, only to go and cheat on her a few months later (gasp, horror).

It all happened when I innocently wandered down a dark seedy-looking isle in our local Morrisons, with the intention of getting my betrothed Mach 3 some replacement blades, then, there she was, Morrisons own triple blade shaving system, with Aloe Vera & Vitamin E enriched lubricating strip. It struck me like a bolt of lightening, though not as pretty as Mach 3, I fell for its personality. Wrapped in a hard, transparent plastic cover, and backed on the front with a blue sky, and clear blue water images, my eyes were hooked instantly. Add to that the product's name, emblazoned in reflective silver, black and white and..........well, you get the picture.

I put one in the trolley, trying to camouflage the shameful yet excitable feeling I had, running behind Mach 3's back with illicit intentions on the back my mind (oh! what an exciting life I lead).

The moment has come, I must undress my newly found romance and reveal all. The stick part of the razor is basically plastic-based, straight with a 90-degree curve at one end. The handling points are made of slightly elevated rubber embedded into the plastic. At the curved end goes the blade, which has three layers, and the whole blade moves up and down to get a closer shave around facial corners and the chin.

Upon using the blade first thing a couple of weeks ago, I, as usual, managed to incur a few little cuts along the way. That was nothing short of what I expected of a new razor, and it was exactly the same with Mach 3 for a short while at the start until my skin got used to the sharpness of the blades. Morrisons imitab (my abbreviation for imitation triple blade system vs. Mach 3 !!) is not as attractive looking as Mach 3, but is certainly no ugly duckling, the pivoting of the blade doesn't feel as free flowing, and there is a tiny part of the blade where the whole thing is joined at both sides by metal pieces which look totally rusted, yet are not, it's just their strange yellowish colour which indicates so. The product is mounted on a thin plastic base which has no mirror, and is not quite as sturdy as the competition, but that is just petty criticism.

Here come the good bits. The whole thing, which comes with four (aye, that is 4) blades retails at £2.29. Compared to Mach 3's system which comes with only two blades and sells at a whopping £4.99. The replacement blades for imitab come at £2.29 for 5, opposed to £5.25 for 4 blades for Mach3.

The pack comes with full instructions on how to use the product, even the complete novice won't get lost as to which part of their body they're supposed to shave.

Ingredients are as follows;

Peg-5m, Peg-14m, Polystyrene, BHT, Aloe Bardadensis, Paraffinum, Liquidium, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cl 77891, Cl 77266.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The product does what it says on the pack. It ploughs though your facial hair like there's no tomorrow. I've only been using it for a few weeks, not as long as I've used the Mach3, so cannot fully comment how long the sharpness lasts, but so far, so good, and I doubt the blade will go blunt overnight. It is certainly as sharp as the competition for the length and frequency of use up till now.

The maneuverability of the blade is certainly better with Mach3, but Morriosons own gives as close a shave, albeit with more wrist action required on ones part.

The money-saving angle is what sets these two products apart as mentioned above. One would be saving £2.70 for the whole set and get two extra blades thrown in for free. As for the replacement blades, you save £2.96 and get an extra blade too. A bargain hunters delight.

As for Mach3........well...........all I'll say is............ it could have been a messy divorce if we was married.

Take care one and all.

• Luckystar28 published 25/01/2002
    My husband uses the Mach 3 but perhaps he can be persuaded to try this one. Thanx for the info.
  • Wayne10ch published 11/01/2002
    I too have been down that seedy-looking aisle. Temptation is always there but so far I have stayed faithful to my Bic!! Just call me mad!
  • Marchant published 11/01/2002