Motel 6 Airport hotel San Jose , San Jose, CA

Motel 6 Airport hotel San Jose , San Jose, CA

Review of "Motel 6 Airport hotel San Jose , San Jose, CA"

published 18/06/2016 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1982
Sad to see this site no longer paying. Thanks to everyone for reading and rating over the years and hope not to lose touch with long term ciaoers.
Good
Pro Best price close to the airport, clean rooms
Cons Dodgy area, external corridor, stale smell in the room
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Yes I know the way to San Jose Motel 6 Airport hotel"

Our room - Motel 6 Airport hotel San Jose , San Jose, CA

Our room - Motel 6 Airport hotel San Jose , San Jose, CA

Motel 6 San Jose Airport, San Jose

1440 N 1st St, San Jose, CA 95112, United States

On our last trip to the USA we discovered that it was considerably cheaper to fly to Hawaii from San Jose than San Francisco so we flew into San Francisco did our tour up to Portland Oregon and back to San Jose. We left our hire car at the airport and stayed a night here before we flew to Hawaii. On return we had another night in this motel between our flight from Hawaii and our return flight home so we had two separate nights here.

~~~~~~~~ WHY THIS MOTEL? ~~~~~~~

We don’t usually choose Motel 6 brand places as they are usually pretty basic and not sufficiently cheaper to make us think they are worth choosing but when looking at places near the airport all other branded hotels were considerably more expensive and many other ones not a lot more expensive had awful reviews on tripadvisor so we figured ‘Hoe bad could it be for just one night each time?’

We wanted something close enough to make a taxi an option as we were leaving the hire car the night before we flew to Hawaii as the flight was really early in the morning.

~~~~~~~~~~ GETTING THERE ~~~~~~~~
We found this motel pretty easily in our car using our satnav and there was plenty of parking around the motel and we got a carpark just under our room.

The taxi from the airport to the motel was around $20 while oddly the one from the motel to the airport in the middle of the night was around $14!! A taxi monopoly at the airport I feel and very annoying but we had little choice.

~~~~~~~~~ WELCOME? ~~~~~~~~~

On arrival both times we were welcome in a friendly manner by the member of staff in the rather dingy little office they had as reception. They were also very helpful in booking a taxi for us to get to the airport at around 3.30 am .

Everyone spoke English which I have seen a few complaints about in hotels in California and San Jose especially.

We were given the room key and told which room and how to get there; not hard as there are only two levels, ground floor and up external stairs to the upper level.

The reception desk is manned 24 hours and the motel has a total of 74 rooms over the two floors.

The doors all open to the external corridor so there is not really a feeling of security as anyone can walk up the septs and knock on the door or peer through the window which is a sliding window with mosquito mess but I would not sleep with the window open as who know who might just break in.

~~~~~~~~~BOOKING AND PRICE ~~~~~~

We booked through hotels.com and paid in advance as it was cheaper and meant we would not have to paid exchange fees and for use of our credit card abroad.

We paid $99 per night so not exactly the cheapest hotel we had on the trip but it was certainly not the best one we stayed at!
You also have to pay the tourism tax of about 50 cents per night to the hotel ad booking through hotels .com did mean we had already pad state tax.

Wifi was around $3 per 24 hours and I did pay that but it was pretty poor wifi and very slow.

~~~~~~~~~ AROUND THE MOTEL ~~~~~~~~

Bearing in mind we had no car we chose a motel that had somewhere to eat within walking distance. On the website and in reviews on tripadvisor we learned that this place was next to a Denny’s and McDonalds was also within a short walk. Neither would be our first choice but for one meal we thought we would cope.

When we arrived at the motel it didn’t look that salubrious and there were a number of less than friendly looking types with a number of beer bottles around them which I was not thrilled about. I was certainly glad I was with my husband as if I had been alone I would have just gone hungry!!

The area was not great and I would not choose to stay here as a woman alone or even with friends who are all women as it felt very dodgy to me.

The Denny’s was okay, nothing special but friendly staff and clean enough. Food was okay as most Denny’s are but not a place I would choose if there were other options.

~~~~~~ MOTEL FACILITIES ~~~~~~~

The motel is a basic motel so no pool or gym or anything fancy.

It has parking which is free and there is room for RV and lorry parking too.
There is wifi but it is not free and not that great either so others have suggested going across to Mc Donald’s where it is free.

There is a guest laundry on the ground floor near the reception area with coin operated machines but we didn’t use them so cannot comment beyond that.

You could get coffee or tea from a machine in the reception office but we had our own travel kettle so didn’t use that either.

You could have two pets per room which didn’t thrill me to hear and the room did smell less than fresh when we first went into it.

~~~~~~~~ OUR ROOM ~~~~~~~~

Initially I was a little horrified as the room did smell stale and as though someone had been smoking in there but as we had paid for the room on hotels.com already we figured it would be a very expensive move to another hotel.

We opened the window and I sprayed my perfume around . I checked the bed and the sheets were clean and smelled quite fresh too.

The room was quite small but did have two very basic double beds that had legs so you could see clearly under the beds. The floor was laminate and was really clean even under the beds.
Along the wall opposite the beds was a small half circle table below a flatscreen TV mounted on the wall which had remote control and cable service.

In an area further into the room there was a small hanging rack and shelf and basin with vanity area and mirror.

The bath room was also really clean and had one of those units that are a bath and shower all in one so after inspection I thought it was clean and the beds were okay so despite the stale smell we stayed and left our booking for the second night too as we survived the first one unscathed and the staff were friendly and helpful re booking taxis for us.

The room was airconditioned which I was happy about as there was no way I was going to have the widow open as it opened on to the exterior corridor.

There was a phone in the room and they did give us a wake up call at the time we asked and you could use the phone for free for local calls but as we didn’t know anyone local we had no use for that. I guess we could have ordered take away to the room using that which would have been an alternative to the Denny’s we went to.

~~~~~~~ RECOMMENDED? ~~~~~~~~~

Yes and no. I would not stay here alone or with another female alone as the area is not the best. It was by far the cheapest , with decent reviews as in the room was clean and there were no bed bugs ,that we could find close to the airport. Others were $200 plus and not that luxurious either .

It is certainly not the kind of place you would choose to stay for a holiday but as a night before a flight it did the job. I wouldn’t rush back there but if we had to get a flight early morning from San Jose I would stay here again.

Thanks for reading.