Review of "Mothercare Jive Pushchair"

published 28/05/2009 | NSG17
Member since : 28/05/2009
Pro Attractive colours, sturdy frame and seat, large underneath compartment for shopping.
Cons Weathershield sold seperately
Storage
Ease of cleaning
Safety
Age Group

"Cheap & Cheerful Mothercare Jive Pushchair"

About two years ago I had my first daughter and because it was unexpected I didn't have a great deal of money to spare, so I was looking for cheap pushchairs to take her out and about in. As it was I had to buy a cot, bedding, clothes, a carseat and everything you need for new babies. I bought the mothercare jive pushchair because I knew it was only £34.99 from my younger brother, I am 12 years older than him and my mum bought him one that lasted until he was 4 years old with constant use.

In my opinion I find that is is a very sturdy pram, it can hold a 4 year old child, numberous bags of shopping and still be used all the time.

Appearance - My daughter loved it because you can buy them in a variety of designs and she had the flowers print. I think that it is bright, pretty and doesn't look cheap; it looks sturdy and it is! It appeals to kids because it isn't dull.

Ease of use - I found that is is easy to push around, the wheels offer a soft ride for the child and make it easier to turn around even sharp corners in a rush. It easily goes up and down curbs when fully loaded.

Age range - It can be used from 4 months onwards. I found this good because before I bought the pram I had to carry my daughter everywhere I went in a baby carrier on my front. Because at around 4 months they do start to get very heavy I had to find an alternative option!

Quality of build - Some might think that because it's cheap it will just break and be a waste of money, infact when my mum first got it for my brother I was convinced of this! But after seeing him use it until nearly 5 years old I know different. It has a sturdy frame and the fabric of the chair is hard wearing. If any spills or food gets dropped onto it when your out it wipes off easily with a damp cloth! The bright colours do fade after awhile but only slightly.

Storage - The underneathe storage compartment is large and strong. It is made out of a net that is easy to clean up if a drink leaks. Also you cna hang your shopping bags off the handles and I have gone out and done an entire weeks shopping just hanging it off the handles and putting it underneath.

Safety - I think this is actually as safe as you can get from a stroller. My daughter is one that likes to try and escape from her stroller and if you fit the straps properly she found it near impossible to actually get out of them. The clip is easy for an adult but my daughter is now 2 and she still can't figure out how to get it undone and boy has she tried! The breaks for the pram are strong and easily accesable and have never failed me.

Value for money - As it is only £34.99 it is very good value! They are sturdy and last for years and it is pretty. In honesty I never expected them to be so good but I was pleasantly surprised.

The one thing I would say I wasn't fond of is that if you want a weathershield you have to buy it seperately for another £19.99. But even still that is a reasonable price when you think about it.

• retireduser published 29/05/2009