Mothercare Socket Covers

Mothercare Socket Covers

Socket Cover

Review of "Mothercare Socket Covers"

published 13/09/2012 | lights84
Member since : 02/05/2011
Taken on a paid writing job so not on here any more. Ciao ;)
Pro Essential for safety in the home
Cons Can be hard to remove
Safety

"Put a socket cover in it"

As with most things I did a fair amount of research when I started baby-proofing our house. As always I decided to err on the side of caution so I picked up a set of these Mothercare socket covers for £3.99 for a pack of 12, to cover up all the unused sockets in our house, and I soon found there were more than I'd realised before.

The socket covers are hexagonal chunks of white plastic with 3 pins on the end, so they will fit into standard UK sockets including extension lead sockets. The sockets do not stand out particularly to me, but they do to little ones because, well, doesn't everything?! I have caught my 13 month old trying desperately to remove the covers with her mischievous little fingers, and I can confidently report that she has not been able to, so they do their job well. Due to this interest in the socket covers I do wipe them clean now and again, with a dry cloth or a wet wipe if they are sticky, and then I leave them to dry before putting them back in. There are enough socket covers in the pack that you can replace dirty ones without worrying about leaving the sockets uncovered.

The socket covers are hardy enough, as I have had to remove them a few times and they are still the right shapes. The covers are easy enough to put in the slot and to remove, though they can sometimes feel a bit jammed in there, which is good in a way because it really does mean that prying little fingers won't be able to get them out. However having been on my knees trying to pry out sticky socket covers so many times I am going to rate these 4 stars instead of 5, as I have heard of similar sockets that are much easier for adults to remove, so I suspect the design with these Mothercare ones is not quite up to scratch. These do work well, but they may not be the best ones out there, so they may not be the best ones out there, so my advice is shop around if you're able to.

• Jake_Speed published 26/09/2012
    A very handy review.
  • torr published 24/09/2012
    We still have lots left over from our own children's infancy now ready for use with grandchildren - so I can vouch for their durability!
  • kimwright published 18/09/2012