Moto Motorway Service Stations

Moto Motorway Service Stations

Review of "Moto Motorway Service Stations"

published 23/06/2003 | ginger59
Member since : 04/03/2003
Pro you know what to expect, somewhere to stop if you are tired
Cons expensive food
Price of food
Range of goods in shop
Opening hours
Customer service
Quantity of petrol pumps

"A refuge from the M1..Woolley Edge services"

We stopped here becasue we'd been stuck in traffic after a motorway accident on the intersection of M62 and M1, and we needed to take a break becasue we were frazzled- forgot I had air conditioning!
I knew that there was a service station between junctions 39 and 38 southbound on the M1 so we headed there.

Easy to follow signs to the car park- with words and symbols so you'd understand even if you didn't speak English.

FACILITIES
Shop- newspapers, sweets, books, music, drinks, sandwiches, greetings cards and gifts..they were selling the Harry Potter latest book on Saturday but I wouldn't pay £16.99 for it! Some people were, though. Food can be a bit expensive and so can the sweets but if you have to buy them, it serves you right for not planning in advance!!!

T2 phone shop- selling mobile phones and accessories. Good value- I bought a union jack cover for £5 a few months ago.

A clothes shop..don't know what they sold becasue they were shut!

Thorntons chocolates..the ususal yummy range of chocs and ice creams and not at an inflated price. Ideal if you have forgotten someone's pressie!

Pets- there are drinking water stations inside the main doors and you can get free disposable bowls from the restaurant.

Money- cash machine

Amusements- there's an arcade with some games in it.

FOOD
The food court has the ususal sandwiches, breakfasts, hot meals, tea and coffee. It's expensive to eat in here, so be warned!
Large non-smoking bit but I don't know about you - I think they should be in different rooms. Its all very well having a non smoking section but if the next table to you is smoking then the smoke will drift and make eating there unpleasant. This reataurant was clean and had a lot of clean tidy tables.

Coffee- not the ususal service station swill at all..it was cafe Ritazza- a very good coffee. Not expensive , either..£1.29 for an expresso. £1.79 for a cappucino or latte...which is the same price as at Starbucks away from the service station ..so good value. Tasty, too.

If you have babies they cater well for them- if you use the Moto baby feeding station you can get free Organix baby food, a free sterile bottle, microwaveable bowls, bibs, papmers nappies and spoons..

If you have children you can get childrens ' meals and there is a childrens fenced play area for children up to the age of 9 where you can lock them into the enclosure and sit outside.

Burger King
Good food but at inflated price. I think this is unfair becasue it's a captive audience on the services but that's just why they do it. Anyway, I am not willing to pay £5 for a meal that is too big for me so I had a childrens meal for £2.69 - and it was easily enough for me. A regular sized burger, a small fries and a small drink. Had run out of toys so I sulked (not) .My boys had burgers and large fries.

They do very good veggie burgers as well- and in the childrens meals, too..so we were very pleased!

Impressed by the cleanliness and pleasant staff.

TOILETS
The key facility for us. We all use them- and yes I know its a sign that we're getting old but we rate them!
Very clean and all were working. Good decoration, and auto flush. Perhaps that's why they didn't smell. Auto taps as well- good for the old or others who may have problems with taps.

Cleaned every 60 mins and there's a countdown clock outside so you know when they were last cleaned.

Disabled toilet too.
Awarded Loo of the year in 2003!

ACCOMMODATION
You can stop at the Travelodge for £49.95 per night and there's one on both sides of the motorway.

Worth a visit if you're getting sleepy on the way South!!!Give it a try even if you're not.

• Pictoria published 09/12/2003
    I know what you mean about being expensive... Mind you! I find most motorway services are expensive anyway no matter where you go. Lynn-Marie
  • CarolB published 07/07/2003
    Very useful!!
  • coolchanty published 25/06/2003
    A great review. I find motorway service stations far too expensive for my pocket. If I am going on a long journey i stock my car up before hand with stuff from the supermarket. Saves you fortunes.

Product Information : Moto Motorway Service Stations