Moto Motorway Service Stations

Moto Motorway Service Stations

Review of "Moto Motorway Service Stations"

published 28/12/2006 | Angelpybs
Member since : 03/07/2006
Pro Well thought out facilities for familes/babies.
Cons Prices. Some locations aren't as clean or well stocked as others.
Price of food
Range of goods in shop
Opening hours
Customer service
Price of petrol

"Moto - My stop of choice on a long car journey"

I travel a lot across the country to visit relatives and when I recently became a mum baby facilities at motorway service became very important to me. On my first journey as a mum I stopped at a services (not Moto - Roadchef I think) and found the facilities to be very limited. However on my second journey I stopped at a Moto and I have to say from now on I will aim to stop at Moto services above all others. I was so impressed with the family/baby facilities.

All motos should provide free baby food, nappies and baby wipes, steribottles, bibs, bowls, spoons, use of microwave and bottle warmer. Now obviously not everything is on display or I'm sure the service would be abused as I've never seen any nappies or steribottles but I think you have to ask for them. I didn't know they provided free baby food but found out on my last trip when I arrived at the services to find I had forgotten to pack baby food (Bad Mummy!!), when I asked at the counter if they had any they replied they have it free!!! I was so impressed that they had some let alone it be free as this was an absolute lifesaver for me. They have two types of baby seat a reclining one (like you get on supermarket trollies for very young babies so you can put them down somewhere safe without having to lug a car seat around with you, and a normal wooden sit in highchair for older babies and kids.

They have a fenced off area for the kids to play in next to the restaurant tables (some locations have a seperate familes section where everything is located) and these "play pens" usually have a TV (sometimes on/sometimes off!) with kids cartoons on, colouring desk and fixed down toys. Some locations also have outside play areas too.

Also the baby change facilities are brilliant. They have aparent and child room with fixed baby change units along with sanitising sprays. In these are either private feeding areas or chairs for BF mums. Also some locations have parent and child joint toilets and a cubicle set up just for children in the main toilets with lower seats all decorated for kids!

Yes this review is focused on the parenting facilities but to be honest Moto is different from the others who just provide a pull down baby change in a disabled toilet and the odd highchair.

Obviously Moto as a company put a lot of thought into the facilities but it remains the job of the staff to make sure they are kept clean and well stocked. Sometimes they have run out of wipes, bowls, etc but if you ask they replenish them. However, I have never had cause to complain about the cleanliness of the baby change area or toilets in any of the locations I've stopped out. The toilets are cleaned every 60 minutes and a clock counter shows how long until the next clean. Some Motos also seem to have showers in the toilet sections as well.

The food for adults is usually a choice of overpriced Burger King or overpriced restaurant food (sometimes good, sometimes awful). The coffee they sell (Ritazza) is a nice coffee and not too badly priced. They always have a shop selling sweets, snacks, books, cd's, etc. However if you compare the cost of things to places like airports, etc the prices are similar.

The price of petrol at adjoining petrol stations is as always on the motorway services a higher price than you'd find in your local garage.

Personally I can live with the inflated food/drink prices as I rarely eat or drink more than a coffee or a sandwich. You can take your own drinks/snacks/sweets on a journey so you don't have to buy things there. However, if paying a bit more means they will continue to provide essential family orientated facitilies then I don't mind paying 20p more for a cup of coffee (I draw the line at £8 for dodgy fish and chips though!).

All in all if you are a new parent and need life made easier for you on a long journey try and stop at a Moto. Hopefully the one you stop at will be a clean, well stocked one!

• shazzaspannered published 08/02/2007
    It sounds silly to some people when you say you prefer certain service stations over others but I do agree that some of the chains are much better than others x
  • alleycat01 published 05/01/2007
    I'm sure you're right about the advantages for parents with babies outweighing the disadvantages, but I still resent the outrageous prices! alley x
  • nursie_nursie published 03/01/2007
    We always use Moto for our stops they tend to be nicer and cleaner. Well written review. Laura

Product Information : Moto Motorway Service Stations