Review of "Motorola A920"

published 29/04/2004 | Goldy999
Member since : 13/09/2003
Good
Pro Great Football Highlights; PDA functions; Decent Signal
Cons Touch Screen; Poor Battery Life; Re-Dialling
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"Good, But Could Be So Much Better"

I recently went down to my local town on the hunt for a new phone at all costs. My old phone had taken a few bumps, so I thought it was time for a change. I went into the 3 Store and was shown the Motorola A920, playing a loop of several football clips. The clips looked extremely impressive, so after enquiring more into the price of the phone and the tariff, I bought one. When I got it home however, things weren't quite as I had hoped...

The first thing I noticed was the fact that you are supplied with 2 batteries for the phone. A very useful idea as you can carry a spare with you in case of emergency. However the second battery is obviously put in for a different reason. The battery life is shockingly short. I don't use my phone that often, but still I only manage to scrape 6-8 hours out of it, even on little or no usage. I find myself having to constantly swap batteries over, which is keeping my charger permanantly on. Not very good.

The next thing that has made a slight concern to me is the size of the phone. It does tend to poke quite far out of my pocket, and has been prone to falling out on several occasions. However, I knew exactly what the phone was like when I bought it, so I can't really complain too much about size.

On a bright note, the football highlights are fantastic. As I work shifts, I am often missing The Premiership on a saturday night, so the highlights are a fantastic tool to have. Having the screen on widescreen really makes a difference, and increases the viewing pleasure dramatically.
The fact that you can have both Premier League and Champions League action is a bonus. Howeverm unless you take out the £5 per month unlimited use for the football, it can get expensive. 50p per match can soon mount up to a heavy bill.

Unfortunately, the other 3 mobile services don't quite cut it for me. They are basically a set of services such as sport, news, comedy, music etc, providing video clips, current news, weather etc. As good as these services are, the service is very limited and does not allow access to the main Internet, and they again cost 50p to view most of them.

One of the main annoyances I have found with the phone, is when the phone knocks in my pocket. As it is a touch screen phone, any slight touch inside a pocket can make it active, and on several of these occasions, I have rang someone by mistake and left about a 4 minute voicemail.
WHY NOT LOCK THE PHONE I hear you all cry. Well, I attempted to lock the phone, but caused even more problems as it kept resetting the phone and freezing.

One very surprising thing I have found with this phone is the amount of good signal I get. With my old phone, I would literally have to stand in a field when I wanted to speak to someone, which has now been avoided by 3. The signal has been very clear and concise, and to this day, I havent had any signal problems with the phone.

Some of the other features on the phone are:
  • A camera for stills and video clips which is good and takes decent pictures
  • Music Player
  • Calendar
  • Email/Text ability. This can get very frustrating as there is no keypad for fast texting, however, having a phone which offers PDA programs for organisational purposes makes up for this slight hindrance.

When I bought the phone, I got it free on the videotalk 500 scheme, which offered 3 months half price line rental. Getting a PDA style phone that could play football highlights was a big factor in deciding to buy it, and because of this, I do think it was a good buy.

I'm sure that the look of the A920 doesnt appeal to a lot of people, however some will like it. It does seem to be a good phone with a goo range of features. However, 3 could have done so much better with it, which is probably why the next model has already been released on sale.

• penguin1052 published 29/04/2004
    HHmmmnnnn..... Let me think... Where'd I put that barge pole? Don't think i'll be touching one of these - taking my phone back today (a Siemens S55) cos that keeps locking up. I thought the battery was bad on this but geeezz your one takes the mick. Scott :)
  • emilyo published 29/04/2004