Motorola C650

Motorola C650

Review of "Motorola C650"

published 19/08/2005 | Jeet
Member since : 20/11/2003
Good
Pro Small
Cons screen keeps freezing, camera not very good
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"My not so handy handset"

I brought this phone about a year ago. I thought it was great and just what I was looking for.

It had the folowing features that I wanted:

It is small (103 x 44 x 20 mm)
It is light (85 g)
Handsfree
Alarm Clock,
Currency Convertor,
Calculator,
Organiser
Camera VGA, 640x480 pixels.
Excellent reception

It also boasted the following features:

GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900
Display 65k colors
Downloadable screensavers
Polyphonic (24 channels) and MP3 Ringtones, MotoMixer (customisable ringtones)
Memory Phonebook holds up to 1000 entries, Photo call,
Camera VGA, 640x480 pixels
USB port
Stand-by Up to 190 h
Talk time Up to 5 h

I paid £119.99 for it on the T-Mobile Network. The reception is excellent.

It has a colour screen (which is pretty cool). You can download wallpapers and screensavers, and you can use the pictures that you take with your camera as your screensaver as well. Because I got it on the T-Mobile network, the features like the Games, Multimedia Messaging, Text Messaging, etc were already activated.

It has some ringtones already on it, your can download more or even create your own with MOTOMIXER. You can group your phone numbers such as Freinds, Family, Work etc, and you can set a different ringtone for each group.

The games that you get are ok, but I never really play them. You get Skipping Stones and Hungry Fish. It also has Foto Fun Pack 2, which allows you to mess about with pictures.

You can also send text messages to either individuals, a few people at a time, or even a group, which I found really handy at New Year when I had to send out loads of "Happy New Year" messages!

The calculator is one of the handiest parts of the phone, along with the Alarm clock and Calendar. You can set events in your calendar daily (if you have something to do everyday like take tablets etc), weekly, fortnightly, yearly (like birthdays, anniversaries etc). I have found this to be an invaluable part of the phone as I'm absolutely useless at remembering things.

My experience with the phone:
=======================

I brought this phone for two reasons really:

Firstly as an emergency device and also because it has a camera, I have two kids and never seem to have a camera on me when they do something funny or cute, etc. So it was going to be really handy to be able to take pictures whenever I wanted.

The camera however isn't that good, although it has a 4x zoom and light adjuster, the pictures never really turn out very well, they are either too dark, too blurry or both.

On to the emergency device:
======================

Like I said, I have two kids and a really old car, so I thought I will always have a phone on me incase of emergencies. This wasn't the case.

It first stared about 6 months ago. When I turned the phone on it would occasionnally go to a plain black screen with some kind of "exceptional error". Then about two months after that I switched my phone off over night. When I woke up in the morning, it was stuck on a "HelloMoto" screen. I tried to turn it off but nothing would work. In the end we had to take the battery off to reset it (which is in itself a huge task).

Well ever since then it has started to do this at least twice a week. I have found over time that if you just leave it (as you can't get the back off the phone easily), it will eventually turn itself off. It takes about 10 hours, but it does go off.

After it has switched itself back off, you can then turn it back on like normal. GREAT you would think, but because it has been stuck all night, the battery has drained right down to the "low battery" mark, so you can't use it again until it has been charged.

** The main problem being when the phone freezes I have to venture out without it because it wont even turn on, let alone allow me to make a call. So much for my emergency device. **

I am now trying to find another phone which has all the features I want but with a much better camera, and one that doesn't freeze all the time!

Advantages:
==========
Light
Easy to use
Quite a few handy features such as Calculator, Calendar, Alarm Clock

Disadvantages:
======

Cannot change keypad (but this didn't bother me)
Back Panel is nearly impossible to open, you have to push the latch, which is placed really tightly into the phone.
Phone freezes
Camera is not very good

• solamarie published 08/09/2005
    So many phones, your review gave me lots of info on this one, Sue
  • marcellep published 19/08/2005
    Re-rated
  • Bollinger28 published 19/08/2005
    Nice to see you back on Ciao - Lexy

Product Information : Motorola C650

When it's time to live in color, this phone delivers. The Motorola C650 has a large, brilliant color display, backlit keypad and a joystick featuring different lighting patterns. Capture the moment with the integrated camera, and then image it to share with friends and family in a multi media message. Put MP3 ringtones through MotoMixer for your own ringtone sound. Plus, game like you never have before. The C650 makes mobile communication as colorful as the people who use it.

Product Description: Motorola C650 - GSM - mobile phone

Product Type: Mobile phone

Service Provider: Not specified

Form Factor: Bar

Dimensions (WxDxH): 42 mm x 20 mm x 120 mm

Weight: 91 g

Technology: GSM

Band: GSM 850/1800/1900 (Tri-Band)

Integrated Components: Digital camera, voice recorder

Weight: 91 g

Available Body Colours: Cosmic universe blue, midnight blue

Cellular

Technology: GSM

Band: GSM 850/1800/1900 (Tri-Band)

Service Provider: Not specified

Communications

Data Transmission: GPRS

Communication Features: Internet browser

Phone Features

Phone Functions: Speakerphone, voice control, call timer, conference call, voice dialing, vibrating alert

Speech Codec: EFR, FR, HR, AMR

Polyphonic Ringer: Yes

Additional Features: SIM application toolkit (STK), intelligent typing (iTAP), MPEG4 video playback, melody composer

Organiser

Personal Information Management: Calendar, calculator, reminder, currency conversion, alarm clock

Missed Calls Memory: 10

Type: LCD display - colour

Technology: CSTN

Display Resolution: 128 x 128 pixels

Colour Depth: 65,536 colours

Display Indicators: SMS indicator, divert indicator, digital clock, GPRS indicator, signal strength, voice message waiting, battery meter

Display Illumination Colour: White