Motorola DEXT MB220

Review of "Motorola DEXT MB220"

published 28/07/2010 | CezaWeza
Member since : 08/06/2006
Pro Social networking made easy with Motoblur, QWERTY slider
Cons No flash on camera, battery life not great
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"I've got a brand new Moto"

Motorola DEXT MB220

I have an ongoing mobile contract with Orange, and every 18 months I have the opportunity of upgrading my old phone to a new one, completely free of charge. This opportunity came about again in February and I decided that I wanted a 'smartphone' for the first time so that I can stay connected with my facebook and twitter during the day. All my previous phones had been quite simple, keeping me in touch easily with my friends by text and calls, but now I felt it was time for something a little more advanced. A smartphone is simply a mobile phone that also offers advanced multimedia features, and has all the functionality of a PC.

Phone Design

When I first received this phone, I thought it was huge compared to other mobiles I've ever had in the past! The exact measurements are 114 x 58 x 15.6 mm. The screen is very large though at 65 x 44mm which makes it very handy when using the internet as you can see more of the page. It also makes it perfect for watching videos on. The phone is only available in black.

One of the main reasons I wanted this phone is because it has a two options.. I wanted a touchscreen phone but I am not very good at typing texts using touchscreen, and this phone also has a QWERTY keyboard slider which is really easy to use when typing text messages. So I tend to use the QWERTY slider to write my texts in and use the touchscreen function for everything else, such as scrolling through the menu.

The phone’s menu is set up as a long list of icons that you scroll through. You can drag and drop any of these icons onto your phones ‘desktop’ for easy access, as well as get rid of any you don’t want. The phone can be tilted to be viewed either landscape or portrait.

The phone comes with a charger which is a sub cable and a charger rolled into one. To use it as a sub cable, you simply unplug the head of the charger. The phone will also come with a small sub drive which you can plug your memory card into, allowing you to easily transfer your files to and from your computer.

Main Features of the Phone

With this phone you can do all sorts of things, and some of the main features are listed below (as specified on the Orange website):

MOTOBLUR™ social networking
touch screen
music player
multimedia
MMS

It's safe to say that I'm not going to use half of these things; I doubt many people who acquire this phone are going to use all of them either. However, I will briefly go over some of the features that I use the most.

The text message application is set out so that all your texts are merged together into a long conversation per person rather than lots of separate messages in an inbox. I find this to be quite useful as you can easily go back and read the conversation. However, the application itself freezes quite a lot and I often have an error message whilst trying to send texts. There isn't a way to resend the message without typing it all out again which I find annoying and a bit ridiculous on a phone that can seemingly do everything! If you decide to use touchscreen to type your messages, then there is a handy predictive text feature which displays suggested words for you in a bar along the box you are typing in.

You can set yourself up to receive email alerts whenever you receive mail. To let you know you have received an email, an @ icon will come up on the screen and a message tone will sound if you have set it up to do this.

MOTOBLUR is a social networking feature that your phone is included with. It includes the function to be able to download all your contacts or ‘friends’ from Facebook, Myspace and Twitter direct into you phonebook. This will include any email addresses and phone numbers they have provided on their profiles. You can also view their profiles from your phonebook. It also allows you to download the status updates from these websites into one big newsfeed on your phone, where you are able to directly reply to them. You can also update your status to all of these sites or just one easily from your phone. These features are handy for me as I am always using social networking sites and it saves me from having to log onto the internet all the time.

I have used the camera feature on my phone and have to say it isn’t one of the greatest I have ever used. The photos are okay in the daytime but the camera isn’t included with a flash function which means that any photos taken at night come out very dark! The main time I would be taking photos on my phone is on a night out with my friends so I find this to be quite disappointing.

Market

Additional applications can be downloaded through the 'Market' application which is already installed on your phone. Using this, I have also been able to download an msn application, an alternative text message application as well as many different games. There are no games included on the phone so you have to download anything you want from the Market.

To use the market, you simply browse the various categories or if you know a specific application you are looking for then you can search for it. The market includes both free applications and applications you can download for a small price, normally around £3.

Battery Life

Like with most mobiles, there is a picture of a battery in the top right hand corner of the screen at all times which shows you how much battery you have left. Once the battery only has 15% of it's power left, it will flash up a warning message on your screen and keep warning you every now and again until either the battery dies or you plug it up to the charger.

When I first received my Motorola, I was alarmed at how fast my battery was being drained. I was leaving it plugged in all night charging and I would be using my mobile obviously during the day, and by early evening there would be a message warning me that my battery was low. After installing a software update for my phone (which I was automatically asked to do when I first plugged it up to my computer), the battery life seemed to improve slightly. Another way to save the battery is if you turn 3G off and just turn it on when you need it, or use 2G.

Overall Impression

I have mainly been impressed with this phone because of it’s huge social networking capabilities. It’s ideal for people like me who are a little bit addicted to facebook and like to be nosy and see what people are upto on Twitter! It’s also ideal for people who prefer typing with ‘real’ keys as the phone still has all the features of the up to date touchscreen phones. If the camera came included with a flash I would probably say this was the perfect phone for me.

• Amazingwoo published 03/09/2010
    What's the call quality like - clear, fuzzy?
  • MrBrightside1987 published 07/08/2010
    I agree with rojm but another great review :) x
  • rojm published 01/08/2010
    good review - I am a nokia person myself if you can use one they are all very similar