Review of "Motorola T191"

published 22/04/2004 | xen_x
Member since : 25/09/2001
Good
Pro small, cute
Cons charging problem
Look & Feel
Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"Motorola T191 - a bimbo of a phone"

I had various problems with this 'phone. I actually read several bad reviews of it before I bought it, but I really wanted it because it was so cute and I thought it was worth the chance.

The first major problem with this 'phone is that it does not charge properly - I even had my first T191 replaced for free because after failing to charge fully for some time, it refused to charge altogether. However, I am now having the same incomplete charging problem with my new one.
This is apparently a widespread problem with this model, according to the shop assistant when I brought my phone back for repair; there had many returns for the same problem.

I did not know whether the following issue was to do with the bad coverage of my network, or the 'phone itself, but having used another make of phone on the same network, I can conclude it must be the 'phone: the reception is bad and the volume is too low. I can barely hear the voice at the other end of the line, and there is an audible buzz over it, which infuriates me every time I have make or take a call. I would have replaced this 'phone long ago if I used it for talking a lot; the only reason I still have it is because I text a lot more than I talk.

This 'phone also kind of sticks when you switch menu options quickly, though this is minor. Another thing that has happened several times is if you press a button and get a message delivery or sent report back in the same moment, the 'phone will lock up with the envelope icon frozen on the screen and you will have to switch if off and on again.

Another annoying thing about it is how the button lock doesn't really work. Just today, I took it out of my bag--with the lock on--and found it 15 seconds into a call to 999. What a dumb feature, to allow emergency calls to go through even though the phone is on lock. If anything, this is exactly the kind of call you would want to avoid making by mistake, and yet this is the very call they allow go through. If this phone were a person, it would be s bimbo--cute but kind of flakey.

What I also find irritating is how when you're writing a text, it doesn't let you know when you've spilled over into a second text. It doesn't tell you what your character limit is, so you could be sending two texts just for the sake of a full stop for all you know.

I would say, overall, that this phone, although cute and very petite, is not worth the hassle. It's not an awful phone, but there's really no reason to settle for this when you get a 'phone just as cheap and attractive that doesn't give you a single problem.

• cbzcbz published 22/04/2004
    Good first review. Thanks for the info :-)
  • Moonrising published 22/04/2004
    As someone who hasn't got a mobile, being able to dial 999 without unlocking does sound like a good idea... but not if you are going to do it accidentaly! Hope you explained to the operator what had happened! Welcome to Ciao!
  • Laughingcow published 22/04/2004
    I think all phones can dial 999 whilst on lock! I think its silly too - if you want to call that urgently, it doesn't take a sec to unlock your phone!! :)